wtf- 2010 Mustang Wagon??

• Sponsors (?)

the_optimist.jpg

Not taking any chances either.

As far as that second bunch of concept pics ... :puke: I'll pass on that crap. Lambo-like scissor doors? A full glass roof? Wrap-over tail lamps? And a squished front-end that goes right back to the '99-'04 design? WTF? Who put those clowns in charge of design? Far as I'm concerned, they should just keep the current 'Stang just the way it is ... and maybe make it a tad bit MORE retro, starting with getting rid of the tacky interior and giving it something that looks less like a deranged version of the old Ford Forty-Nine concept car's interior. (Come to think of it, that's where I remember that all-glass roof idea last being used, too.)

As far as a Mustang wagon ... ehhhh, no. I've nothing at all against hot-rod wagons, in and of themselves - actually, I've been contemplating the idea for awhile of nabbing a late-80's Crown Vic wagon and beefing it up - but to base one on a Mustang platform would be REEEEE-TAW-DED. First off, the Mustang currently weighs something like 4,000 pounds to begin with - making it a wagon would push the weight up so much that it'd be a total slug and handle like poo. Secondly, Mustang + wagon = UGLY. It's one of those things that just doesn't quite jive with style and purpose ... kind of like trying to make a Geo Metro into a luxury car, or a McLaren F1 into an off-road 4x4.

If Ford REALLY wants to make a good wagon, they should borrow from Ford Australia's designs for their Holden Ute-like car (I think they're selling it as one of the fifty bajillion "Falcon" models Down Under) and come out with two models based on the same platform: a wagon (call it a Packer or something generic) and then an all-new Ranchero (basically the wagon with the rear half's roof lopped off), make 'em RWD, drop in the same powerplants that're in the current Mustangs, and call it done.