WTF, AC acting crazy. appreciate any help

Jbauer

Jan 20, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey, i was wondering if i could get som advice on some AC issues i'm having because i'm stumped.

A few months ago i got in an accident. The Body shop that installed my condenser installed it wrong, and it was leaking freon. i didnt have time to find the problem until about 2 weeks ago. apparently he installed a gasket on the fitting at the condensor when there shouldnt of been one. since all the freon leaked out because the gasket was causing a gap, the compressor never turned on as a safety feature to save itself from destruction i'm guessing.

anyway, i fixed that problem, loaded the system up with some r134a and now everything is fine. I have no leaks, the compressor turns on and the car blows wonderful cool air.

However, now i notice that sometimes, the car will make this Horrid horrid 'click clack click clack' noise. at first i thought i even threw a Rod bearing! it sounded very similar to that. However, i popped the hood open and i noticed everytime the car makes this sound, the AC clutch engages...itself...meaning, the switch inside the car is off, and there is no air blowing.. but i can see the clutch under the hood engaging. I think it may actually be engaging partially when it makes that noise. Anyway, if i turn the AC on, then the noise will stop...

It only does this occasionally, not very often, but it's making me kinda worried. Does anyone have any advice?

pix 4 clix
DSCF0120.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Is it a metallic type of clack? Sounds like the compressor clutch is falling apart. Mine did. Fairly easy fix. Check the 4.6 important tech threads at the top of this section for a how to if needed.

ok, i'll take a look, but i was just coming home now, and the compressor just started smoking. It smells like when you install new brake pads and over use them at first...its smoking bad, i cant even drive the car now.
i dont understand why the AC compressor is acting up even with the AC OFF.
Also, i'm afriad that i may of damaged the compressor itself now since it's smoking. is this possible? if so, i'll just drain the frikin freon and call it quits,.
Still think it's the AC clutch? i can fix it tomorrow since i dont have work, thank God.

Also: wheres the DIY at? i cant find it
Thank you so much for help

The smell is probably from the compressor clutch slipping. It sounds like the compressor is failing, and this could definately cause a lot of additional load on the clutch, causing it to slip and smoke.

Definately, something is not right if the compressor is trying to run when the AC is off. Either there is some kind of short circuit or something in the compressor clutch failed in a very strange way, to cause the compressor to drag and run slightly.

Try unplugging the electrical connection to the compressor. This should prevent the compressor from running if the cause of the compressor rotating when it shouldn't is electrical. That would allow you to at least drive the car. If the compressor still wants to run with the electrical connection unplugged, then it is a mechanical issue in the compressor clutch. If this is the case, you can probably make the car driveable by getting a shorter belt to avoid the compressor. Not certain if that's possible, but certainly an option to keep the car on the road in a pinch.

ok, i dont think the AC compressor is engaging by itself upon further inspection. Its just that the AC compressor was making noise even with the AC off, and the thing was when i turned the AC ON THEN the noise would stop.
what happend was:

AC off: metalic clacking sound
AC on: High pitched squealing

The damn thing still blows out freezing cold air..

i wonder if i pull the electrical connector out, then this should stop, right? wheres the connector, on the compressor itself somewhere?

this didnt happen till i found the leak and fixed it and added freon, now all of a sudden it wants to start screwin me over. frikin POS. im thinking either disable the electrical connector or frikin drain the freon out and see if it helps.

ok, i'll go ahead and swap the clutch out tomorow then.
Is there a DIY somewhere on this site? i've been looking around for a while.
Thank you so much for help Coramprat and bhuff30. I'm a complete noob about aC systems

Also, what exactly should i buy? can i just get by by getting just the AC clutch? or would i have to buy the whole assembly? and where did you buy yours and how much?

BTW when you replace the clutch set the air gap with the cover of a book of matches.. that works out to be the perfect air gap..

if it's too big it with be noisy or not work.. if there is not enough air gap it will get stuck on..

BTW replace the clutch, field and pulley when you do it

blah, crap i dont feel like doing all this. i'll figure it out though. frikin kit cost like 140 bucks. is it possible that something fell inside the AC lines while at the body shop and ruined the compressor clutch? it'd suck if i didnt get that something out and ruined another damn clutch.
also, do i have to install everything with the kit? honestly, i was kinda hoping i could half ass the job and get away with just installing the clutch..
Is there no diy of this on here?
i'm gonna go ahead and attempt to do this tomorrow.

i'm pondering going to the junk yard, grabbing a clutch and just slapping one of those in instead of buying a new kit

Don't get one from the junkyard. They will probably only sell you the complete compressor anyway. You will need a pulley puller. $25 from Sears. The clutch kit is basically one part. No way to half ass it and get it ot work. You could just run an AC delete and sweat it out.

Is it a metallic type of clack? Sounds like the compressor clutch is falling apart. Mine did. Fairly easy fix. Check the 4.6 important tech threads at the top of this section for a how to if needed.

ok i took the pulley off, and i have every thing off really.. its just that the damn field coil is stuck on.. i've used a puller i cant get this POS off.. the clutch was def. shot to hell, theres clutch material just baked allll over the damn ac coil. i cant get this piece of crap off, i'm debating just installing the new clutch and pulley and leaving the old messed up coil on.

dont know what to do, it's not even budging.
any suggestions?

You have to beat on it but it will come loose. I took a large screw driver and wedged it in between the compressor and coil right in front of the ridge that runs around the compressor and tapped...no beat on it...with a hammer. Once you are able to get a little movement you can pry it all the way around.

frikin shop couldnt install it either. the auto store gave me the right parts, but the stupid pulley wont install. i'm gonna go to the junk yard and buy a good compressor for 80 bucks and pull a pully off of it since all the ball bearings fell out of my old one while my friend was screwing with it, arghh.

is there some trick to installing the pulley? like, is there any orientation involved or do i just slap it on in any position?
ty

frikin shop couldnt install it either. the auto store gave me the right parts, but the stupid pulley wont install. i'm gonna go to the junk yard and buy a good compressor for 80 bucks and pull a pully off of it since all the ball bearings fell out of my old one while my friend was screwing with it, arghh.

is there some trick to installing the pulley? like, is there any orientation involved or do i just slap it on in any position?
ty

The shop could not install it :rlaugh: you have to be kidding me.

It take 5 minutes..

1. remove 8mm bolt

2. remove clutch

3. remove snap ring

4. then slide pulley off

5. using a press or a screwdriver or something pull the coil off

6. reverse process to install

7. use matchbook cover to select the right shim

Or if your in Massachusetts bring the car to me and a 6 pack of sam adams and I will get it on for you

the pulley the parts store gave me wont install, the shop couldnt get the old coil off either. this is just rediculous. i'm gonna go buy a ac compressor tomorrow, maybe the pulley from that compressor will install. un frikin believable.i should of just installed the clutch and called it a day lol instead of screwing around with pulleys and non sense

the pulley the parts store gave me wont install, the shop couldnt get the old coil off either. this is just rediculous. i'm gonna go buy a ac compressor tomorrow, maybe the pulley from that compressor will install. un frikin believable.i should of just installed the clutch and called it a day lol instead of screwing around with pulleys and non sense

it would not have worked right.. New clutch would have failed in a few days if not instantly.

I don't understand how a professional shop could not get the coil off.. Do your self a favor and find another shop

when you took the pulley off you removed the snap ring right? the pulley should not be that hard to install.. at worse a few light taps with a rubber hammer.

But why were you trying to put a new pulley over the old coil.. that is just going to fail.

so if i put a new pulley over an old coil the new clutch will fail?

the pulley from the new kit is not the right size, it evne looks diffrent and the ball bearings out of the old pulley fell out and is scrwed lol.

the shop couldnt get the old coil off..they were using pullers and everything on it. wtf, anyone from GA? lol