WTF is this nipple thing?

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by 66nightMARE, Oct 8, 2005.

1. 66nightMARE

66nightMARE New Member

Ok so I bought a griffin aluminum rad. The inlet and outlet holes were staggered instead of on the same side, so I had to take off the brand new water pump I just installed and install one for a 1970 (mines '66) so that the outlet hole is driver side. I go to O'reilley's and buy one, go to install it. The holes and everything line up but on the block there is like this little nipple thing that sticks out about 1 1/4 inches that gets in the way. It is about 3 inches to the left of where the fuel pump goes. This is really annoying. What do I do now? What is that nipple thing?

2. krash kendall

krash kendall Active Member

I think you are going to have a hard time timing your car with that pump on it. It probably will cover the marks and pointer.

3. 66nightMARE

66nightMARE New Member

Wow. It never ends haha. Thanks for the input. It will probably come in handy. I feel like freaking giving up already. This is a pain in the ass. So should I just stick on the old water pump, ditch the rad. and get a different one?

4. fastdave

fastdave New Member

Yep,I agree with krash kendall. It is the pointer for timing your motor. If you bought the radiator from Griffin they will exchange it for you OR you can sell it and buy the right one. Yes use the orginal water pump too.

5. steel1212

steel1212 New Member

yeah, I had that problem. I had to remark my dampner at top dead center and then use a timing light to get close :nonono:

6. krash kendall

krash kendall Active Member

Just to add to my earlier post and show agree-ance with the others, I have a stock water pump and had a ford 3 row rad rebuilt including having the ports moved to where I needed them. Get the right rad or it'll be ....swallowed the cat to catch the bird, swallowed the bird to catch the spider, swallowed the spider to catch the fly..... if you know what I mean.

7. bnickel

bnickel Founding Member

i would just send the radiator back to where you got it and have them send the correct one. if you bought it used you can have a radiator shop move the lower outlet over to the correct side.