WTF... Just started her after head/cam swap..OIL EVERYWHERE

hotstang_46

Apr 11, 2007
Charlotte NC
I can't even explain how pissed i am right now.... for whichever ones may be relevant here's the mods I just finished...

Patriot II heads
VT II cams
BBK shortys
Mac Pro Chamber
PP TB/ Plenum
Sniper

Ok...fire her up and she goes right away...left it running for maybe 4 secs.... turn her off and there is ALOT of oil under the car considering how long it was running for ( at least in my eyes).... I've tried to do all I can to find the source but cannot. I have narrowed down the region it's coming from....Upper rear portion of the engine. There was oil dripping from both sides of the bellhousing but mostly the passenger side (starter was really wet.....header tubes coming off of the head on both sides were dry, couldn't see much lower or farther in on the heads than that...

I want to go through process of elimination here...did I disturb a line or something in the rear of the engine?....is there even oil that runs outside of the block/ heads? My knowledge base here is limited and even with the reach of a mirror on a stick I can't see much in the region it's coming from...

Being I'm pissed I'm taking a shower ordering some pizza and waiting to see what yall have to say... Any help or things to check would be great:( :(

• Sponsors (?)

Did you move your oil galley head plugs over from your old heads to your Patriot heads?

Did your valve cover gaskets move upon installation?

Good Luck man, that sucks!

oil galley plugs? never heard that term before.......I'll try doing a search on here right now.

I'm sure the valve cover gaskets are ok....I was as meticulous as possible with all the gaskets and mating surfaces........ I couldn't see but felt around the perimeter of the valve cover gaskets located in the rear of the engine...they were bone dry, so the problem is farther down......

I'd almost guarantee they are the oil plugs for your heads. From the factory they have oil plugs that screw into the front and back of the heads. You are supposed to swap them over from your heads to the new heads with some thread sealer or equivalent...

If not, you leave an oil passage open which causes a leak just like you described...

Take a look at your old heads and see what I'm talking about...

Good Luck!

I had the same issue installing cams; I was getting oil everywhere. Have you tried to shore up the bolts on the valve covers? Possibly the gasket slipped (did it on me countless times when I was putting the covers back on). :shrug: Good luck, hope it works out.

ok well....if the new heads didn't come with galley plugs then they're not on and that's the problem.........

guess I'll have to open her back up.....don't think I'll have to remove the heads though, I'm hoping there's just enough room in between the firewall and the head for me to get in there....

Do the front plugs have to go in? I'm assuming they serve some function other than just preventing oil from going into the Timing chain area???

If i do have to take off the timing chain cover, I should be able to leave the Intake manifold on right? just take off the valve covers and alternator?

This is why I love stangnet....I'm feeling a little better already knowing it's not some huge problem:nice:

took a look at the stock heads and found this......On the rear of my stockers I had two Plug looking things..... I put a red dot next to each one...The front of my stockers only has the larger one, the smaller being absent.

These are both the plugs that need to be changed?

IMG_0756.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 90
took a look at the stock heads and found this......On the rear of my stockers I had two Plug looking things..... I put a red dot next to each one...The front of my stockers only has the larger one, the smaller being absent.

These are both the plugs that need to be changed?

IMG_0756.jpg
Yes, match the after market heads to your stock ones. Remove each of the plugs and install them into the same holes.

Patriot should have told you they were or werent installed.

Attachments

• IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 80
Dont feel stupid i did the same thing.. :bang: same thing.. but i was installing PI heads and it barley even turned over and started right up.. (thats always a good feeling) but then i smelled oil, then i saw it.. and they didnt come with the damn plugs.. it was a 15min fix.. :nice:

no those ones in the front are for the timing tensioner

you have to put them in the rear because the heads are universal and you can put them on either side so after you
put plugs in back your good to go front ones need to be left out to control timing tensioner

the large plug must be installed on both ends of the head,the little plug that is not in the front of the left head is install in the same galley just on the surface of the head,all plugs must be present