WTF? No hi-perf pads for SVO rear discs?

5.0ina66

Jun 6, 2003
Ohio
This makes no sense, I'm sure SVOs are hellacious road-course cars, so why can't I find anything more impressive than an AC-Delco "superstop" set of pads for the rear? I can get all the Hawk ferro-carbon pads I want for the front, and it just wouldn't feel right to me to have a set of $14 Autozone specials on the back. :eek:
Thanks
-PS: My 66 has SVO discs on the back, in case this question seems odd.

• Sponsors (?)

There were fewer than 9900 SVOs built and probably no more than half are still complete cars and a tiny portion of those are raced. Unfortunately it's not profitable to tool up making carbon brake pads for a fleet of maybe 200 SVOs that see track time. A number of parts are going or have gone out of production for these cars. Struts, lower control arms, brakes, body/lights/trim, etc.

Besides, the rear brakes aren't going to be doing a whole lot, especially in a lightweight '66. I doubt you'll have trouble with organics on the back. I'm pretty sure the rear brakes are the same as some early-mid '80s Lincoln, so maybe you could find better pads listed for that.

They are the same brakes used on 87-91 Saleens and 84-91 Lincoln Mark 7's.

That might help you find something. I could have sworn i saw some Hawk pads for those applications