x-303 good or bad?

redrumracing01

Nov 18, 2004
bellvue,wa
im wondering if the x303 cam would be a good cam to run in my notch,a couple of people recomended it,but im open to any other sugestions,mods so far are,
stock88gt short block
289 heads ported and polishe w/194-160 valves
torker intake
mallory 6al ign
long tube headers
1.6 roller rockers
600cfm holley sonn to be a new 670 cfm street avenger.

john stock50lx who i bought the heads from says the springs are good for aroun 550in lift

• Sponsors (?)

I would go with a Comp Cams Extreme Energy series cam. They are dual pattern and have a lot newer lobe design.
With a Comp Cam it will idle way smoother.

If you're serious about it, I would go to FTI or a similar outfit and get a custom grind. Shelf cams can be good if you know what to pick (this is what you're really paying for in a custom cam), but alphabet cams are very old. There are many better designs available.

Dave

The process of picking a cam is not the hard.
Comp makes it very easy.
TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE:
Phone: 1-800-999-0853
CAM HELP
Certain people who offer custom cams are just using this same process.
They sell you a off the shelf Comp Cam with the sticker taken off as there own custom grind. Marketing is a wonderful thing. Every one I know that has used this process has been very happy with the results.
We've used Anderson cams with mixed results. The newer Anderson cams are better than the older ones. I would say their cams are more for Drag race use.

I wouldn't run an X cam in your motor. although your motor breathes easier than a lot, you should find a cam that makes power where your motor does. Max lift I'd recommend for your motor would be about .525-ish and duration should be like 218/212 @ .050 or less. Don't over-Cam your motor, it'll just end up being a dog under 3k, like mine :nonono: 14's at 103 trap.. *sigh wants a smaller cam.

man i didnt know that the ford racing cams are that old,i was looking in the comp cams book and all of the cams were more lift than i wanted they were about 550in - 600in lift.i want a cam in the 525-545lift range i dont really care about idle qualitty,all i really need to do is get some specs and order my cam from delta cams through my work so i can save some money.also was thinking on the stage 2 trick flow cam have a freind in cali who had the same combo as me and has had great luck with that cam

lamrith said:
Just Call Delta and talk to Jerry. Tell him what you have in the car and what you want out of it. He will hook you up, usually next day and at a great price..

will do ill call jerry at delta on monday i can probly get an even better price since i work at b&b auto and we deal with them

and callvo my reason for going with the 289 heads is i got them from john stock50lx and he had great luck with them and als o becuase of the 53 cc chambers