X-pipe Design: UPR/VRS/SLP merged pipes vs. Bassani/BBK/Dr. Gas "stamped" X's

Craig Mack

Busted Buffing the Bishop
Founding Member
Mar 9, 2002
Lake Mary, FL
I don't think ive ever heard a thread comparing these different types of X-pipes. But I think there should be, because these pipes seem to have very different designs. The pipes like the UPR just have the two pipes merge together, seems like a pretty simple design, where as the BBK and the like seem to have an actual design to them; like a seperate little "x" peice welded in.

For example,

BBK:
BAS-4698-3.jpg

UPR:
96_98_XPIPE_LRG.gif

What do you guys think? Comparing these pipes, in offroad form, which do you think would make more peak power/powerband power and why? I went with the UPR becuase it sounds great, was extremely affordable and easy to install myself. I've never seen any dyno proof though.

Let me know your thoughts guys...

• Sponsors (?)

Best performance once I've seen out of your list is the Dr. Gas I spent weeks looking over sound clips and dyno sheets before I decided on Dr. Gas. UPR and VRS from what I seen makes good power to cost ratio and from others here on stangnet have commented that they sound good too.

As far as BBK I can't comment I've heard several 4.6's with em but it didn't sound good to me I've heard they make decent gains. From what I know Bassani is the worst of all X pipes due to the X collector being more restrictive, but the sound is very nice has a very exotic sound to it. I almost went with that untill I saw the price and some before and after dyno sheet's made me rethink.

All pipes make decent power everyone will tell you go with what sounds good to you. You have to ask yourself is 2-3 hp worth another 100 bucks or is it the way it sounds worth that amount of cash.

cap42 said:
Best performance once I've seen out of your list is the Dr. Gas I spent weeks looking over sound clips and dyno sheets before I decided on Dr. Gas. UPR and VRS from what I seen makes good power to cost ratio and from others here on stangnet have commented that they sound good too.

As far as BBK I can't comment I've heard several 4.6's with em but it didn't sound good to me I've heard they make decent gains. From what I know Bassani is the worst of all X pipes due to the X collector being more restrictive, but the sound is very nice has a very exotic sound to it. I almost went with that untill I saw the price and some before and after dyno sheet's made me rethink.

All pipes make decent power everyone will tell you go with what sounds good to you. You have to ask yourself is 2-3 hp worth another 100 bucks or is it the way it sounds worth that amount of cash.

Ya. I have scoured stangnet for hours in the past, and too found out about Dr. Gas giving the best gains, becuase of the location of the X. But, after welding and installation the price of the Dr. Gas would be at least $450, whereas the UPR cost me $139.99 and I installed it myself.

I have heard people give personal opinions about the merged piped X pipes, but I have never seen any proof. SOTP gains to me didn't feel all that special. The main thing I noticed was that my car revvs faster and freer now.

The main reason I made this thread is becuase a fellow Cobra owner was dissing my X-pipe, and pipes made like it, saying that the merged pipe design is weak and it yeilds the least amount of power gains out of all the pipes. :mad:

I HIGHLY doubt there is that much difference between the brands as far as performance. :shrug:

The only one I know that is suposed to sound really different is the MAC Prochamber.

As far as x vs. h I think the x makes more power but the h sounds better.

If I was in the market for a midpipe my main concerns would be price and fitment.

All said I have a MAC off road h pipe and am very happy with it.