X-pipe Install

• Sponsors (?)

took an hour to do with a friend. we both had never done it but it's so straight forward.

do you really want to spend $150 for 20 mins of their work or an hour of your time? (hell, even 4 hours is worth it)

NYStang2002 said:
Take it to a muffler shop and save yourself the headache. I paid 150 bucks for mine and they did it in like 20 minutes.
That tells it all..150 bucks for 20 mins :notnice: Do it your self..I have changed alot of midpipes and 150 is a damn rip off for someone who has a lift and power tools...I can change a midpipe on jackstands with hand tools in under an hour....do it yourself man...

i BELIEVE (i don't need MILs) MILs connect where those green connectors are. and the other end connects to your car (where you disconnected them from)

midpipes.jpg

Attachments

• midpipes.jpg
    midpipes.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 76
The local muffler shop is doing my MRT H catted H tomorrow for $75.00 - for me, this beats the hell outta sliding around underneath my ride for 2 hours cursing this bolt and that bolt - I've read too many horror stories out here. I know it's a straight forward install, it's just a biotch to get to the manifold bolts. I applaude those who can do this in 20 minutes, but I know I can't and $75.00 bucks ain't no big deal to me...money well spent.
I will be doing springs/shocks/struts/pulleys/LCAs myself however (well, me and my wife-two GTs, two sets of hands!).
On a side note, will a (tree-hugging) CA shop install this for you?

well they said they would do it for 150 bucks "under the table and no recipt for cash. thats almost as much as the pipe!!! i mean what do u guys think i should do, play the fat load of cash of just work for while at my school during auto which has a lift and air tool with help for as many peeps as i need. also if i do it myself where can i get nice instructions to do it right or does the upr come with some for the x-pipe and mil's

twogts4us said:
The local muffler shop is doing my MRT H catted H tomorrow for $75.00 - for me, this beats the hell outta sliding around underneath my ride for 2 hours cursing this bolt and that bolt - I've read too many horror stories out here. I know it's a straight forward install, it's just a biotch to get to the manifold bolts. I applaude those who can do this in 20 minutes, but I know I can't and $75.00 bucks ain't no big deal to me...money well spent.
I will be doing springs/shocks/struts/pulleys/LCAs myself however (well, me and my wife-two GTs, two sets of hands!).
On a side note, will a (tree-hugging) CA shop install this for you?
Springs/shocks/struts/lca's will be harder than H pipe. (I've done all of those myself with little or no knowledge)

SRT Handz said:
well they said they would do it for 150 bucks "under the table and no recipt for cash. thats almost as much as the pipe!!! i mean what do u guys think i should do, play the fat load of cash of just work for while at my school during auto which has a lift and air tool with help for as many peeps as i need.
NO. if you have access to a lift and helpers, there is NO WAY IN HELL you should pay someone to do it. it is literally um... like 8 nuts, 2 O2 sensors unscrewing. an autoshop will have ALL the tools you need, you don't even need to buy sockets and crap like I had to.

SRT Handz said:
does the MIL's come with instructions or is there anywhere i can get them. also does the x-pipe come with new gaskets or do i use new ones.
I looked at UPR's site, it looks like the MILs are self contained. All you do is plug one end into the mid pipe O2 sensors and the other end into the car. It's easy peasy.

And gaskets, I didn't use a new one. i didn't know I was supposed to. However, I didn't have any leak that I could tell. I think most people will say to just buy one incase there is a leak.

Hey JonJon,
whats the biggest problem you ran into and was the manifold bolt a bitch to get to.

also i have a air fuel raton gauge hooked to the rear o2 sensors. will the MIL's effect the gauge?

SRT Handz said:
Hey JonJon,
whats the biggest problem you ran into and was the manifold bolt a bitch to get to.

also i have a air fuel raton gauge hooked to the rear o2 sensors. will the MIL's effect the gauge?
My biggest problem was that one of the nuts that connect the x pipe to the cat back was lost. The UPS box had a tear in the corner and the nut had fallen out. We tried a few hardware shops but none of them could match the threading or thread type. So I drove around with only 3 out of 4 nuts on until Magnaflow sent me a few more :nice:

Other than that, the hardest part was getting the car onto the ramps, it was a harrowing experience.

The actual install was a piece of cake. If we had air tools it would've been awesome. I don't know about the gauge stuff... The manifold bolts were easy, I think it was a 12" and 6" extension with swivel and boom, they were disconnected. 4 years of MA winters too, thought it'd be rusted shut.

Yea, definately dont pay anyone to do it. With a lift, it will be easy as crap, you can stand the whole time. Some of the Mil eliminators have little tabs that you have to trim to make them fit, so do that with razor blade. It really is only 8 bolts, and get a new gasket from ford so you dont have any leaks. Oh and PB Blaster is AMAZING!!! Get some,it helps a ton.
Matt