X Pipe Installation

Beau

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2000
San Diego
for those of you who have done it yourself or with a friend, how hard is it, how long does it take, and are there any special parts/tools necesssary?

i figure if i get one i might as well install it myself instead of search for a shop that will do the install for me.

• Sponsors (?)

I think it woulda taken a bit longer with only 1 person. I did it with a friend, took us 1.5 hours maybe but we couldn't get the X on at first because part of the car frame (or something) was in the way. We eventually had to bend it.

Ramps.
Used jackstands for the cat back.

Having the right swivels and extensions made it a piece of cake. The bolts were easy to get off (not really rusted even after 4 MA winters) and it dropped down real easy.

JonJon said:
Ramps.
Used jackstands for the cat back.

Having the right swivels and extensions made it a piece of cake. The bolts were easy to get off (not really rusted even after 4 MA winters) and it dropped down real easy.

I did by myself in the cold November night. Right swivel and extention makes world of difference. I remenber thinking how easy it would have been if I had a one more extension....

Extra person would be welcome help too...

1990StangLX said:
oh ok so any set of ramps you'd recommend? i am probably going to have a shop do the cat-back and do the catted x myself.
Let me know how it all works becuse I Bought a Bassiani X with cats and A shop told me they would do it for $65-$75 but I have all the tools to do it..
let me know how it works for you becuse I'm getting hte nerve up to try it on my 03 myself with Jack stands or I have access to a lift too.

mity2 said:
I did by myself in the cold November night. Right swivel and extention makes world of difference. I remenber thinking how easy it would have been if I had a one more extension....

Extra person would be welcome help too...
Did mine in Oct I think. We did it in my school's parking lot, around 5pm we couldn't see crap. :doh: And my hands were freezing. But well worth it :nice:

03Sleeper said:
I thought you said you were putting on a Catted X-pipe?
If so It's legal!
:lol:
you don't know about cali emissions laws so i'll school you.

1. you MUST have the SAME amount of cats as STOCK on the pipe. ever seen an x with 4 cats? i sure as hell haven't.
2. the emissions must not be more than the allowable range.

get it?

1990StangLX said:
my problem is finding a shop that will install an illegal part on my car :( i simply don't want to go through the trouble.
aaaah... Well if you're going to do the X, might as well do the catback at the same time. It was really really easy if you can get the stock one off. It took us an hour at night (using flash lights) but only because we spent some time trying to adjust it.

JonJon said:
aaaah... Well if you're going to do the X, might as well do the catback at the same time. It was really really easy if you can get the stock one off. It took us an hour at night (using flash lights) but only because we spent some time trying to adjust it.
ahh gotcha...well i'll probably just do that then after i buy some ramps.

1990StangLX said:
for those of you who have done it yourself or with a friend, how hard is it, how long does it take, and are there any special parts/tools necesssary?

i figure if i get one i might as well install it myself instead of search for a shop that will do the install for me.

I did both the X-pipe and the cat-back by myself on jack stands, I have to say that I was very surprised how easy it was to get the stock x-pipe off. I unbolted the stock cat-back and cut it off just after the mufflers. Then I tied the back end of the stock x-pipe to the drive shaft for support before removing the x-pipe to manifold bolts with an extension, swivel, and an electric impact wrech (probably didn't need the impact wrech, but it was helpful). Once the bolts were off the studs, I suppported the front of the x-pipe with my knees and the lowered it onto my body and wriggled out from under the car with it. It probably wasn't the most elegant way to do it, but it worked.
I installed the new Magnaflow catted x-pipe pretty much the same way, but in reverse. I found that it really helped to tie the x-pipe to the drive shaft. Also, leave the O2 sensors attached to the pipe when you remove it, then just transfer them to the new x-pipe in the same locations. Just be careful not to bash/damage them when you remove/install the x-pipe. Depending on your mileage, you may need a new gasket for the passenger side where the x-pipe bolts to the manifold. It's Ford part # XR3Z-9450-AA.
Don't forget to soak the bolts with penetrating oil (PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc) before removing them. I did it the day before and found the bolts came out very easy.
The Magnaflow cat-back was also very easy to install and adjust. I was lucky....no leaks anywhere.

WES

01PonyGT said:
I did both the X-pipe and the cat-back by myself on jack stands, I have to say that I was very surprised how easy it was to get the stock x-pipe off. I unbolted the stock cat-back and cut it off just after the mufflers. Then I tied the back end of the stock x-pipe to the drive shaft for support before removing the x-pipe to manifold bolts with an extension, swivel, and an electric impact wrech (probably didn't need the impact wrech, but it was helpful). Once the bolts were off the studs, I suppported the front of the x-pipe with my knees and the lowered it onto my body and wriggled out from under the car with it. It probably wasn't the most elegant way to do it, but it worked.
I installed the new Magnaflow catted x-pipe pretty much the same way, but in reverse. I found that it really helped to tie the x-pipe to the drive shaft. Also, leave the O2 sensors attached to the pipe when you remove it, then just transfer them to the new x-pipe in the same locations. Just be careful not to bash/damage them when you remove/install the x-pipe. Depending on your mileage, you may need a new gasket for the passenger side where the x-pipe bolts to the manifold. It's Ford part # XR3Z-9450-AA.
Don't forget to soak the bolts with penetrating oil (PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc) before removing them. I did it the day before and found the bolts came out very easy.
The Magnaflow cat-back was also very easy to install and adjust. I was lucky....no leaks anywhere.

WES
That's good info :)
Luckily I had a 2nd set of hands so no tying necessary. WD-40 worked good for me on the bolts.

Oh, WD-40 to get the new exhaust on the car hangers. Slipped on real easy. My friend told me it was a PITA to get them off though, he did it at his work garage.

I dont know why people are so hesitant to install the catback by themselves. I owned an eclipse before I bought the mustang. I installed a catback by myself, with no jack/jackstands/ramps/lift. In other words, I crawled under the car and did it in about 45 minutes. Setup was similar to the Mustang. Its just a matter of removing the bolts I guess.