X pipe or H pipe?

Red03Mustang

Apr 26, 2004
How's everyone doing? Great I hope! I have a couple questions for you.

I am adding exhaust to my car for horsepower reasons. I have magnaflow mufflers currently, and that is all. The car looks stock still (stock tips). I am currently wondering if I should add an X-pipe or an H-pipe. I am wanting what will give me HP, not what will sound best. I hear both sides, meaning x-pipe and h-pipe owners saying that theirs sounds best. So, I feel I will not be dissapointed with sound with either one.

So my question is, as far as HP is concerned, is an x-pipe best over an H? I have heard this to be the case, but I wanted to check with some of you on here, since I respect your opinions on matters such as these.

Also, would you mind recommending a particular brand you consider as best for exhaust flow? I assume that is probably asking the same thing as asking for the one with the most HP, but then again, I am not very car savvy so I could be wrong. I know little of backpressure. :D

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

It's pretty subjective, I think. Some say the H gives more torque down low and the X a bit more power up top but I don't think the differences are dramatic. The sound is really what's different, with the H preserving the V8 musclecar sound and the X giving a high-revving "Euro" feel to the exhaust note. Which you choose will likely more be based on sound preference than what gains more than the other...

I just put an MRT catted H on my 02 and am happier than a pig in **** with the sound...seems like it gave decent gains too (butt dyno...no time for a real one till next week...)

I have a mac H-pipe and after 1 year the center crossover is russting to hell, it's the only part i would not buy again for my car, next time i'm buying a prochamber and sandblasting the crappy mac coating and repainting it with VHT 1300* paint. should last for a VERY long time.

I have a BBK X-pipe with 2-chamber flows and it sounds pretty bad ass... I'm ordering a set of Mac Long Tubes and don't know if I should go with an H-or X- or Pro Chamber??? I also have Livernois intake kit and PI cams going on at the same time??? what do you guys think? Since the PI stuff makes it's power in the upper RPM range should I stick with an X-pipe? if there is anyone out there that wants a less than 500 mile BBK X-pipe for a $100 plus shipping PM me!

Hey guys!
I'm going through the whole PI head, intake swap right now. I bought Mac Long Tubes and a prochamber as well. I see some are saying not to use flowmasters with an x-pipe. What's best for the prochamber? I am supposed to get my wagon back tomorrow so I can't wait to put my foot into the heavy pedal.

hi all, i have a bassani catback, and i want to get a new mid pipe. I want an x but i dont want the euro sound that i heard i will get with the bassani catted mid. I have heard the magnaflow catted x helps keep the muscle car rumble. What do you guys think>? please help me out.

:lol: Everyone is saying different opinions. You're always going to get mixed answers. No matter what, Flowmasters sound good with both the H-Pipe and the X-Pipe. Just the X is more raspy with Flows.

hey man if u want horsepower get the x. i don't think though that there is much difference with the x and h in horsepower. h is a deeper sound more throaty. x is alittle less throaty. in my opinion. but the x might be better for ure application. why don't u go and ask a muffler shop u trust. go to dallasmustang.com. ask those guys, they know best.

trinity_gt said:
It's pretty subjective, I think. Some say the H gives more torque down low and the X a bit more power up top but I don't think the differences are dramatic. The sound is really what's different, with the H preserving the V8 musclecar sound and the X giving a high-revving "Euro" feel to the exhaust note. Which you choose will likely more be based on sound preference than what gains more than the other...
:stupid: Much truth here - excellent post! :nice:

X Pipes flow better up high and H pipes give you alittle more low end. I suspect this is why Ford went with the H for the mod engine. Either way, get rid of the cats if your only concern in hp. For the most part, X pipes are all about the same as far as hp is concerned as long as it is a non-catted type. You pay for brand and material of construction.

www.mustangtuning.com sells a nice non-catted X for low dollars. If you are gonna stay with cats, choose the one from SLP as a good option. Flows great and is still street legal.

I still have my stock H but have the SLP catted X on order. If I don't like the sound, the H pipe is going back on.