X pipe question? Off-road or catted?

JOHNP

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I am thinking about purchasing an X pipe for my stang. What I want to know is, should I spend more and by a pipe with cats on it already ... or is it just as effective to buy an off-road pipe for cheaper and then weld cats on to it?.

The reason I ask is because I have an oppotunity to buy a Bassani off-road X pipe for cheap.

Also, how much do aftermarket cats cost and where can I find them????

Thanks everyone .... JP/

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure of the smog laws where you live. I live in california so our cars are smoged every two years. It wasn't worth it for me to get an o/r pipe because it would be a pain swapping pipes for the smog natzis. If you decide to buy the o/r pipe I wouldn't buy cats to put on it because after you buy the cats and have a muffler shop weld them on, you would have spent close to the amount of a catted pipe. Just get the o/r and keep it o/r, or buy a pipe that already has cats.

68 & 00 GT said:
Check out husker high performance exhaust website for high flow cats - good prices there.

I'd buy the o/r pipe. hey it may grown on you like mine did ! :shrug: :nice:

I know I really like the sound of them without the cats, just worried about problems with the law here in Texas. I know tons of guys that have O/R pipes and never really have problems, but it would be my luck that I would get busted with it.

I have yet to find a cop that is willing to stick his head on the ground to see if you have cats, especially if the car is lowered. If you get pulled over just shut the car off so it doesn't smell so bad.