X-pipe VS H-Pipe

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
I am ordering a new x/h- pipe tommorrow and need to know which one to get. What are the differences sound wise? I am getting an off road pipe also. And along with my straight pipes It may satisfy my want for ungodly loudness. I know I will lose some HP but O well.

• Sponsors (?)

Drone dosent bother me. I drove with the exhaust coming out at the cats when I got the car, That lasted like 3 months, I got tired of the change rattlng. now I have turndowns and it rattles the button on my e-brake cover. I can tune stuff out real well. Living with as many sister as I did help me in that way. lol

drone is different, it will bother you,thats a whole other thread. I understand the x pipe has more ergo sound. I have an h and had a hell of a time killin the drone. I asked alot of questions at hot rod shows..it seems the x is the way to go.

TRIAX!!!

Ooops wrong thread.

Seriously though, an X pipe makes more power. And anything will scream turning 5000 rpms. I liked the tinnier sound at idle of the X better as well.

Its such a subjective thing though that you're best bet is to go to a car show / exhaust clip website and listen for what you like and do that.

Adam

go for an x-pipe....its a deeper rumble it sounds better at idle as when you drive...the h-pipe sounds more high pitch just like a race car....experience from a 95 cobra (wife's) and a 95 gt(brother-n-law)....good luck on your decision....

MI95Cobra said:
go for an x-pipe....its a deeper rumble it sounds better at idle as when you drive...the h-pipe sounds more high pitch just like a race car....experience from a 95 cobra (wife's) and a 95 gt(brother-n-law)....good luck on your decision....

I think you may have them mixed up. H-pipe = deeper & X-pipe = raspier.

I have the prochamber and like the sound. Adam, where does it say that the x makes more hp, no pun intended, but I seriously would like to know so I can reference it. I have had an h-pipe, prochamber, and a buddy has a bassani x on his 92 fox. And to be honest, the H is the best sounding. Drone only happens at a certain rpm, you'll learn where and you'll try to avoid it. I say go with the h. There really isn't a power difference between x and h, it's more of a sound preference. And yes, get the tri-ax. lol

95Vert said:
where does it say that the x makes more hp, no pun intended, but I seriously would like to know so I can reference it. lol

well i know in the studies of lots of air intakes, those with more bends seem to loose horsepower.and i know this bend which would slow down velocity can be proven with some physics. i would think the theory would be the same with a H-pipe where gases forced by pressure may stop and make a 90degree turn. where as a TRUE x design like Dr. Gas X, VRS or the UPR pieces offer a straighter flowing exit while still allowing for the crossover to happen. and i definatly felt a gain with my offroad x pipe compared to the stock H pipe. tho i cant compare it yet to any other mid pipes

seventymach1.....actually in my experience when i had my 92gt with a custom 2-1/2" x-pipe w/flowmasters(before i sold it 4 weeks ago to buy my cobra)sounded a deeper rumble(granted i had an e303 in it) compared to my wife's 95 cobra w/ h-pipe w/ mac mufflers and my brothers 95 gt w/ h-pipe w/flowmaster.... they had a higher pitch then my car.....she's getting a x-pipe built for her car....so as i stated before in my experience my x-pipe sounded deeper then the 2 h-pipes
that i was around..........