X-Pipe vs. H-Pipe

coachfarnen

Oct 31, 2011
Sorry guys but I thought I would get the most responses in this forum about the exhaust for my 99' Saleen S-351.... I have an off road H-Pipe on there now but I've had this nice stainless Bassani X-Pipe sitting around doing nothing. I really like the sound of the H but I'm curious about the sound of the X. To me if I pick up 10 horse running the Bassani it's not a big deal. I'd rather sacrifice power for sound. Plus the X has a nice stainless look. So, the question is... How much tone at lower and higher Rpms could I possibly lose using the X vs the H??? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Its all based off preference, just for the hell of it install the X and see if you like it. Then you can mak your decision. Personally I loved the sound of an X piped Mustang but when I had my UPR X pipe on my car I hated driving with it bc my car is a DD. Now I have the Prochamber H pipe and I love it because its loud when I go WOT.

It's impossible to say unless we know what catback you are running.

The power difference between an X and H pipe on a sub-400 rwhp car is not measurable. You will lose/gain nothing switching between the two.

The exhaust from Header to tip is as follows... Ceramic coated factory Saleen unequal length headers, Standard off-road H (no cats), Stainess (I believe 3") pipes up to Flowmasters out to straight pipes....

Standard H vs Mac Prochamber.....

From what I'm reading here it sounds like the pipe of choice nowadays is the Prochamber as far as sound is concerned. I don't mind the drone and thoroghly love the cruising sound between say 1800-3000 rpm that the standard H provides right now. Will I notice a measurable difference between a standard H and the Prochamber???? Thanks

I have had an H pipe, prochamber, and X pipe. X pipe is my favorite. I can put up with the raspy sound down low for the absolute pure sex sound in the higher RPM's.

Def. going to try and bolt this baby up this week and give the X a shot....
What I'm wodering now is if there's a difference between the old school regular H and the Mac Prochamber?

I shift my car at about 2,200rpm anyways, so I never hear the raspy part of the exhaust.

I don't see how. The X is raspy at any RPM IMO.

It all comes down to what the individual likes in terms of sound. I had an X for 2 years and 2 cat back setups and hated both. The X sounds good at higher RPM but like ass down low. Once i swiched to an H I found that it's a more lower toned mellow note.

With that said. I personally think that when coupled to the right cat back an X can sound bad ass and the same goes for an H to some degree but you have less of a chance of screwing that up.

When DD my 87' GT with BBK shorties, Flowmaster cat back, and a MAC o/r H I personally think that it sounds 1000 times better than my 2V ever has even with the PI engine.

That 351 is going to sound nothing like a 2v motor. I'd ask the fox body guys. On most motors, I always like the H-pipe, espeically the pushrod Fords. Good luck.

I've had both and I happen to really like the bassy tone of the h-pipe over the scream of the x-pipe. Even in the upper RPM's the h-pipe gives off a really nice bassy note coupled with the high pitched mechanical symphony of the OHC V-8. In low-mid RPM's is where the h-pipe really shines. It sounds so damn good and aggressive :drool: