x-pipe w/muffs VS. Shelby style side exhaust

jst6

Founding Member
Jan 9, 2002
Tucson, AZ
i'm looking at killing the 2.25" crush bent pipes under my car. my biggest question is should i save up the $470 for the magnaflow kit or should i just pop the $140 for the shelby style glasspacks to side exit exhaust? loudness really isn't a concern for me as i'm also considering just running 3" turndowns right off the collector (66 does not go thru emissions in AZ!).

thanks in advance for any help, and yes i've done several searches and i can't find any advice on the comparison above.

... of course there's always flowtech's purple hornies?

• Sponsors (?)

The hot set up I have read about is to have a 11" to 14" piece of pipe coming off of the header and dump into one large chamber, then over the axle and out the back or out the side. The chamber should be the same cubic inches as the motor and it can be almost any shape, so it would be a custom deal. I'm going to make my chamber out of .065 wall mild steel and use full tail pipes with a muffler at the very end. The large expansion at the end of the 12" to 14" piece of pipe just off of the collector was said to be better than a X pipe, H pipe or open exhaust. That length was found to be best after testing different lengths of pipe.

John

400.00.....??? there HAS to be a good exhaust shop in your town?? Most shops will "custom " build you an exhaust from header to tail pipe for a hell of a lot less!! maybe NOT stainless pipe but the "Aluminized" stuff.
2 1/2 from headers.. into a H-pipe ( Or Balance Tube) then to Flowmasters ( two chambers ) then out the back.. turn down.. or in front of rear wheel.. 2 1/2 will be good for over 400+ HP and the whole system installed is going to be A LOT less than 400.00 And If you want the over kill have them do a 3 inch exhaust.. still way cheaper than 400.00.. FYI

Just me...........................

Thumper

I don't think you can beat the stainless-steel Magnaflow setup for the price. If I had it to do over again I'd do that.

The Shelby dumps will give great performance but I do not like the sound of glasspacks, and side exhausts will taint your rear wheels eventually unless you clean them often.

I did my own version of the Shelby side exits in 2.5" with 25" thrush glasspacks. I'll admit, its loud and some may like the sound, but I don't. I just did it to get the car on the road. I have two replacement ideas in mind for later, both include an X-pipe: either Dynomax straight-throughs with tailpipes or Flowtech Super Turbos with the inlet/oulet on the front and side exit pipes.

I'll try to get some video/sound of my car.

I did my own side exit exhaust with 2/1/2" pipe, a Dr Gas X pipe and Dynomax round race mufflers.
Ok, it's LOUD, but that's the way I like it!!

I have a low quality recording on my website below.

Is that like a surge tank, or an expansion chamber?

Opentracker said:
The hot set up I have read about is to have a 11" to 14" piece of pipe coming off of the header and dump into one large chamber, then over the axle and out the back or out the side. The chamber should be the same cubic inches as the motor and it can be almost any shape, so it would be a custom deal. I'm going to make my chamber out of .065 wall mild steel and use full tail pipes with a muffler at the very end. The large expansion at the end of the 12" to 14" piece of pipe just off of the collector was said to be better than a X pipe, H pipe or open exhaust. That length was found to be best after testing different lengths of pipe.

John

Are they suggesting any baffles be built in? Or is it just an open chamber? Just wondering how that would advance scavenging if it is an open chamber. I'd think it would act more like a surge tank, and decrease scavenging.
I'd be interested in reading up on that.
You wouldn't by chance have a source of info on this?

As always, thanks John, that is good information.

Scott

jst6 said:
i'm looking at killing the 2.25" crush bent pipes under my car. my biggest question is should i save up the $470 for the magnaflow kit or should i just pop the $140 for the shelby style glasspacks to side exit exhaust? loudness really isn't a concern for me as i'm also considering just running 3" turndowns right off the collector (66 does not go thru emissions in AZ!).

thanks in advance for any help, and yes i've done several searches and i can't find any advice on the comparison above.

... of course there's always flowtech's purple hornies?

Hey...here is another set up I have used that you might like which would be a combination of them both-

I have the Magnaflow 2.5" system on both of my cars right now-

On my last car which had a pretty much stock 302, I ran long tube headers- to a few inches of piping- to a Magnaflow X pipe to a couple of Magnalfow 4" round mufflers (much cleaner sounding then glass packs) then a made a quick turn and exited out the side Shelby style-

I do however really really like the Magnaflow on my 66 right now-

Mandrel bent, stainless steel, mellow when you are cruising but absolutely screams when into it-

just called around and even Exhaust Works doesn't have a manderel bender n house. it appears no one in az has a manderel bender, at least exhaust shops. gee i wonder how every bondy gets manderel bent roll cages if no one has a bender?!?

anyway it's looking like the only way to get this done is to go with the magnaflow manderel setup out of summit. anyone see it cheaper anywhere?

66Runt said:
I'd be interested in reading up on that.
What Opentracker wrote about sounds a lot like this Popular Hot Rodding article by Dave Vizard: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/hardcore/0505em_exh/index.html

The article describes the theory and construction of "zero loss" street exhaust systems -- resonator, muffler, and tailpipe combos that do not subtract any output compared to open headers. Here's a pic of a combo that Vizard fabbed for a 4th gen Corvette, that looks a lot like what Opentracker is describing:

0505phr_exh_22_z.jpg

(BTW, everyone reading this should do himself a favor and go to the popularhottroding.com website and type "Vizard" into the search box and read everything returned by that search. At the very least read this exhaust article, the one about compression ratio, and the one about carb boosters.)

TurboXstang said:
65Shelbyclone: Do you have any pics of the exhuast setup from those sound clips you could post or email too me?

I dont have any at the moment and its actually kinda pathetic with all the clamps. It is almost exactly the same as the Shelby style, just bigger tubes. Header goes to about 10" of straight tube, then to the glasspacks, then a ~60* bend to send it out by the wheels.

jst6 said:
anyway it's looking like the only way to get this done is to go with the magnaflow manderel setup out of summit. anyone see it cheaper anywhere?

I'd call the owner of this website, partshopper.com. I got my Magnaflow Catback for my 02 GT from them for at least $150 less than what Summitt charges. Maybe they can order the specific one you want at a good price.

Forget the theory of a zero loss exhaust system-

Magnaflow all ready did it-

http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/magazine/05carcraft.asp

We took a Mustang and made 1rwhp MORE then open headers-

Great article-

Also has a comparison dyno with an H pipe and chambered mufflers

X pipe with straight thorugh made 1hp more then open headers and-

13rwhp and 27rwtq MORE then H pipe with chambered mufflers- on a car making about 300rwhp-

There is a sound limit at Laguna Seca, 90db @ 50' from the tracks edge. That's quiet. A new Mustang won't pass sound at Laguna.

ojfourmufl.jpg

This is what it looks like now. We are just under the 90db limit with this set up. The car has full tail pipes.

John