X-pipes

Roush2Stang

Feb 3, 2004
was thinking of getting a magnaflow x-pipe with cats is it better without the cats? i live in california so even though if I have the cats will I pass the smog test?? because if I don't then I would get one without the cats. what is the different between a x-pipe and h-pipe??? which one makes more hp??

• Sponsors (?)

a buddy of mine does smog checks at his place (in CA). He told me you may or may not pass depending on the inspector. You should pass the sniffer, but you may fail the visual if the inspector is anal. Here's a tip...find a shop that does quick work. The faster job they do, the less likely they are to spend time looking under your car and counting cats...

Some smog techs are also cool enough to pass your car even though they noticed you're missing 2 cats.

yeh but now a days the fine it to stiff and you get jail time i think. But i think the fine is like 20,000 or something like that somebody please correct me if i am wrong. I sure you can find one but it is going to be really hard!

Roush2Stang said:
was thinking of getting a magnaflow x-pipe with cats is it better without the cats? i live in california so even though if I have the cats will I pass the smog test?? because if I don't then I would get one without the cats. what is the different between a x-pipe and h-pipe??? which one makes more hp??
ehh, dont ask that question here, youll only get mixed results. as for loudness, h sounds nice and rumbly. an x will sound like king kong is getting his balls torn off by godzilla :) (in other words, sounds bad ass)

the ONLY legal X here in cali is the magnaflow "tru-x", and its basically a crossover that welds into place behind your cats. like the guys said, the magnaflow catted x will pass emissions but not visual. thats the price we pay for living in this state. :notnice:

jeff1414 said:
But i think the fine is like 20,000 or something like that somebody please correct me if i am wrong.

A father and son came in to a shop where I was waiting while my tires were being rotated. They had failed safety/emissions for the 2nd time and were acting like it was the owner's fault. After they left, the owner laughed and told me it wasn't worth the $10,000 fine they'd slap on him if he were caught. :notnice:

EDIT: Utah, by the way.

1. not having at all
2. hope you don't get caught and don't be throttle happy around cops so they can't hear some won't care some will
3. find somebody that will pass it

you would get caught when the cop looks underneath you car and knows that it is not right stuff or i think that here in cali they take you to the ref. But i am not real sure

4.6 Rocket said:
What is the actual fine in California for having a off road x pipe? How would you get cought? What can you do to avoid getting cought? And stuff like that.

Thanks
ok here is what i was told when i was at JBA.
Cali recently went from a 3 tiered system down to 2 tiers. so basically, depending on the cop, you can get a ticket, or, you can get your car impounded. now with an offroad pipe you're more likely to get screwed cause there are no cats, therefore being a "gross polluter" i think..

Here's my take in tough places like NY/CA. Unless you really know someone, LTs and Off road mid pipes are to be avoided because they can easily be spotted and smelled (gas fumes) by cops if they choose to be a hard A. Also to be avoided because a lot of shops will not pass a non-catted newer car.

(Carb approved) Shorties and Catted X/H pipes are much tougher to spot and will not be noticed by either the shops or cops. Also helps to lower the stang so it's harder to get down there and do a visual if ever pulled over. My catted x has passed emissions with flying colors every time out.