X303 and the E303 cam what do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

Both cams can be good with the right combo of parts. As your engine is basically stock, the Ecam is the one you would want if you are going to do a mild build up. It can be installed without any clearance issues in your engine. However, I would not bother unless you are going to couple that with a decent set of heads and an intake. What are your plans for the car?

I have been running the X cam for 5 years and it's pretty wild. No it won't pass emmisions, yes the valves will hit the pistons, yes you need big valve springs if you want to rev to the 6300 max hp rpm, don't bother without good heads. Yes it makes good power, 305 rwhp here with X303 54cc heads.

Dan

basically, choose your quarter estimate, and we can all buld a motor combination that will satisfy it. The first step in building a mustang is knowing what exactly you are deciding to choose... dig?

Listen to The Blur. The Blur knows.

Seriously, though. The cam should be the last part of your build, the piece that ties it all together. If you're doing a budget build, find the best parts you can, tweak them as much as you can, and once you decide on a setup, check your p/v clearances, then double-check them, then triple-check them, and then pull your cam and take it to Delta Cams in Tacoma. They will do a custom grind for about $150 and they are freakin' rocket scientists.

I agree with what people said about deciding what you want to do with your car/engine, and then pick a cam.

But, I'll go ahead and answer the original question... I have never used an X cam, but I had a E303 with 1.7 roller rockers in a '94 cobra motor. The heads were stock '94 cobra cast iron GT40's. It had an explorer intake, headers, offroad H, flows, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF.

The cam made good power up to 6000. It did lose a little low end compared to a stock cam, but nothing you would care about unless you had 2.73 gears still. It had a very noticable idle. I don't know if it would make it through emissions, the rough idle suggested it might not.

I thought it was a good cam, but it was the only cam I've ever put in a 5.0 so I can't compare it to anything.

Jeff

Yeah I already went ahead and got the E303 cam... I guess im the type of person that does everything ass backwards lol, plus im on a budget lol. My buddy LordMustang Put an F303 in his plus exhaust and cold air and it romps pretty good so im following suit behind him Ill have exhaust system in a couple months and then get a cold air intake and bump the gears up a little bit.

LM has a set of 3.45 gears that he has sitting around I may give those a shot.

Thank you all for your suggestions and information, much appreciated!

John

And of course I live in Washington and I dont have to worry about emmisions cause my car doesnt have to get them anymore :-D