XM Radio

fuzz

Jul 4, 2003
Arlington, VA
Anybody install this?

Just wondering where you mounted the antenna. I don't want to put anything on the outside of my car. Would it work through the trunk or anywhere else?

Also, would I have to buy a whole new head unit? I think I've seen some that can hook into the existing systems. I really like the 6 disc changer and I don't want to lose that.

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

fuzz said:
Anybody install this?

Just wondering where you mounted the antenna. I don't want to put anything on the outside of my car. Would it work through the trunk or anywhere else?

Also, would I have to buy a whole new head unit? I think I've seen some that can hook into the existing systems. I really like the 6 disc changer and I don't want to lose that.

Thanks,

I mounted mine on the trunk (low profile Terk antenna) and it doesn't bother me, but I believe others have actually put them in the back glass/inside the trunk (search would probably give you some answers). However, I'm not sure if it may be more subjective to rain fade/obstructions overhead when it's mounted in these locations. As for the head unit, you can buy units w/ adapters that will allow your FM modulated stereo to work w/ the XM receiver, but the sound quality won't be truely digital. I recommend spending the extra $$ for a decent XM-capable head unit and enjoying the higher quality audio. Just my .02....

I 've had both FM modulated and direct direct linked in my old car. I put the antenna on top because it said that nothing could block it, even glass. If it would work with the antenna inside that would be cool. You'd just have to try it. As far as I know they don't make a internal one. They do, however make a magnetic one for easy removal. I just used FM modulated until I bought the direct cable for my Pioneer XM ready deck. The FM way didn't sound any different though. You can also mount the FM display anywhere and hide it away if you want.

Thats my little bit of experience with XM. :D

BestTimesNow said:
I put my antenna inside on the rear deck, but that may not work too good in PA because of the lower satellite angle.

I also used a PIE cable for a direct connection to my 2002's Mach 460 radio. It sounds great! Much better than the FM mod. I don't know if PIE or Blitzsafe makes an adapter for the 2003's.

Here's a link to my installation:

http://www.geocities.com/rich35242/Mustang_GT.html

Thanks for the info on the PIE cable, now I might be able to hook up other rca devices to my Mach 460 in my 2001 Mustang

-Jason