xpipe install???

DonLord

Apr 22, 2004
I picked up an exhaust setup yesterday and I'm going crazy here knowing its sitting in the garage and not on my car yet.

I have my car up on the ramps and it doesn't look like I will be able to get to the stock hpipe connector to the passenger side header.... it looks like the bolts on the driver side are easy to access though.

Reading through the instructions there is mention of cutting the old catback for easier removal; this is another roadblock for me at this time.

I think I'm just going to wait until tomorrow and have a shop do all the work for me, what is a good price for an xpipe and catback install? I don’t want to get ripped when I talk to the shops.

• Sponsors (?)

don't bother with shop. It is really easy. toughest part of Cat back is cutting old pipe out. i used small hand held hacksaw, and took me about 20 min.
And as far as passenger side goes, you'll need at least 2 6" extention and few swibble joint thing. It seem hard, but trust me, It'll come out. really hard part on getting old H-pipe out is disconnectiong front O2 senser. My hand was just too big for it. I had to have my GF crow under the car and had her small hand disconnected for me.
All and all, i think it took me just over 2hours to install my X pipe and magnaflow catback

I just installed my MRT H-pipe this morning with the car up on ramps. The passenger side bolts look more difficult than they are. I used a 15mm 6pt. deep socket with swivel and a 10" and 6" extension together and had no problems. You just have to find the best angle so the socket fully seats on the nut. Although everything unbolted and bolted up perfectly, the job would have been ten times easier with the car on a lift. I barely had enough room to work under the car.

WOT said:
Yeah right. I spent 4 hours on the passenger side bolts and it still wouldn't come off. I even used an impact and ended up braking my universal.
Goto Sears or HomeDepot and grab like a 20 inch extension and you only need one swivel. The trick is to remove the O2 sensor first. You can get to it from the wheel well with a box wrench. Once that's out and after you soaked the bolt with WD-40 put some tape around the swivel socket so it doesn't flop around so much and slide it up towards the bolt and get that BIOTCH out. It took me about 20 min. of cussing and swearing but once that was out of the way the total time for X pipe install was just under an hour. The cat-back is about another 1.5 - 2 hours. I used a sawzall to cut out the old pipe (5 min.) Save the money from the install and DIY and get another mod.

On my SLP x-Pipe I had to remove the manifold bolts oon the drivers side. I took one look at those and became concerned. How I ended up getting them out was by installing the two manifold nuts on the stud and locked them on then backed the studs out with the impact wrench. Just in case someone is getting a SLP X-Pipe

Glad I did all my exhaust at once! We cut the stock cat-back off by the mufflers with a torch. You're gonna love it though, aftermarket exhaust is a must have on these cars :nice:

01TrueBlueCobra said:
Make sure you disconnect your battery. Just in case you hit the starter tring to remove those manifold bolts. It also allows the computer to adjust to the more free flowing exhaust.

Good tip, the 2nd time (dont ask) i was pullin mine off i hit the starter and got a nice spark i had to crawl my ass out and disconect the battery, i forgot all about it.

96WhiteNight said:
Good tip, the 2nd time (dont ask) i was pullin mine off i hit the starter and got a nice spark i had to crawl my ass out and disconect the battery, i forgot all about it.

LOL, i did that the first time i ever changed out my midpipe. pretty much pee'd all over myself. Anyways, anytime I change out my midpipe I take the wd40 and put it on the passenger side bolts and then i jack the car up and everything and first do the driver's side and by the time i get to the passenger side, it's loose like your grandma's .....(is that wrong or what?)

SonicBlueBabe said:
LOL, i did that the first time i ever changed out my midpipe. pretty much pee'd all over myself. Anyways, anytime I change out my midpipe I take the wd40 and put it on the passenger side bolts and then i jack the car up and everything and first do the driver's side and by the time i get to the passenger side, it's loose like your grandma's .....(is that wrong or what?)

LMAO yea it woke me up, i think that might be wrong :nonono: