Y2k Cobra R offset too wide for front

z1n

Aug 18, 2004
Red Oak, Texas
I need help. I just received my Cobra R rims (18x9.5) I have not mounted tires on them yet (need more funds) but I did take one rim out and placed it in the wheel well. The back looks perfect but the front seems to protrude past the front fender about 1" or so. Is this normal? can anyone post pictures of this offset with wheels? thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I think 9.5 might be a little wide up front. I could be wrong. I have 8.5 up frount right now and I don't think there is another inch of play. I could not have any more backspacking and if it stuck 1" the other direction it would not be good.

Thanks for the help hognutz. I did look at it again and the front rim is about 1/2" past the front fender but with the wheel on it will be around 3/4" past. It doesn't bother me as much as the fact that the back rim is flush with the back fender and not even or more then the front. I think after I get the wheels mounted Ill try installing spacers on the back wheels so they match the fronts.

If you don't plan on rotating them, some people have machined down the mounting surface of the wheel along with the front hub to gain another 10mm or so of backspacing. I’ll probably be doing at least the hub machining for my 18x9 FR500 wheels to fit on my Cougar. But again, that’s still only 10mm and is still quite a ways from 3/4 of an inch.

Camber, thats how they fit the front of the R. Runs an aggressive camber setting. I run 275 35 18's on mine, and fits "under" the stock fenders. I run -2.5* front camber.

i have 18"X9" on front with 275 on my car. I don't have any offset probrem.
here is not so good pic of my front end. likeSomeone above me said, I have somewhat of agressive negative camber(-2.25), and you can tell how top of my tire is tucked in under fender. And I have lowered my car +2" on ffront, and all I get is some sriously tough looking front :hail2:

I have 245s on 8.5" wheels and they are just fine. However, on a 9" wheel I think they are going to be too narrow.

They'll look stretched like the dorks that used to do the "bow-legged" look on mini-trucks and such and run too-small tires on wire wheels in the early 90s.

I have the 2000 Cobra R's on my GT with 275/35/18 Nittos on them and I know what you're talking about. They do stick out a little up front, maybe half an inch.

I was a little unhappy when I first saw this on the stock suspension, but I think that it will look fine after I lower it and make some adjustments to the alignment. My H&R Supersports will go on the car as soon as I finish picking up a few other suspension pieces. I only want to deal with a single install.

I'm not about to sell these wheels off...I begged/argued enough to be able to buy them in the first place and I'm not about to lose money on them by selling them used.

I have Cobra R Motorsports 18X9 all around. No problems here.

Wheel%20Small.jpg

Small%2005.jpg

Attachments

• Wheel%20Small.jpg
    Wheel%20Small.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Small%2005.jpg
    Small%2005.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 113
I have 275s on 17x9 cobra wheels and that sticks out in the front to me and I hate it. It looks a bit odd, maybe if I could get the rear to not be so tucked in it wouldnt be odd. I wonder if the 96-98 cars make it look like it sticks out more due to the fender. From the side/angled view from the back it looks perfect but when looking from the front you can tell it sticks a bit.