YAY! Old cam out...

skywalker

Dec 22, 2003
Pensacola, FL
I finally got off my butt and tore into my engine to do my cam swap. I just got the old cam out (mind you've i'm doing this after work starting yesterday.) In the process I noticed an obscene amount of play in my timing chain and it looks like it may have jumped a couple cogs. Also, the comparison of the stock cam (well, I'm pretty sure it is stock) with the XE268H is unbelievable. Can't wait to get the new guy in their and try her out!

*Update* New cam is now actually in the block. The rest will have to wait for tomorrow. BTW, this is my first cam swap on a pushrod engine. My prior cam swaps have been on OHC engines, so this is pretty exciting for me.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd disagree about that...more than 2- 3 teeth and I'd agree. I was about a millimeter from being able to simple take the chain off of the gears. The new one was nice and tight. Yay! :)

This afternoon I got the lifters in, tightened down the rocker arms, put the intake and carb back on, and started putting the front cover back on. Started to get dark and was having trouble with one bolt so I decided to finish tomorrow.

I'm tingling with anticipation! :)

""I'd disagree about that...more than 2- 3 teeth and I'd agree. ""

Hey, I made a living a long time ago replacing chains in cars that came in on a hook with a one tooth jump.

I think small block Fords respond to cam changes better than just about any other engine family.

brianj5600 said:
What about performance?
"response in unbelievable" That answer your question? :D

Seriously, performance is good, I don't have a access to a dyno nor the cash for one but there was a very noticable increase in performance.

I just replaced a strut rod and put on a motecarlo bar though so the alignment is out of whack. I'll have to straighten that out this week.