YEAAAAAAH...problem solved...Torq thrust ll on MY black 90 GT

Tolbert67

Jul 20, 2005
I've wanted the polished aluminum american racing wheels "torq thrust ll's" on my Black 1990 Mustang GT for along time .....I finally got some info that I didn't know about....I knew about the 5 lug conversion kit but was concerned about the backspacing.....WELL ,american racing will make the rim to the backspacing of your/my desire..........needless to say I will be ordering(after the 5 lug conversion of course) 17x9 1/2 ...with 4 1/2 backspacing for the back and 17 x 8s (no special backspacing required) for the front. It's gonna set me back about $2500.00 for the whole project, But I think its worth it.....Just wanted to share my happyness :) .............What tires should I buy...Thanks..

• Sponsors (?)

That is really cool... I didn't know that they could custom build your wheels. How much more were they for the custom backspacing?

What 5 lug conversion did you do?

Get some good tires! (personally I like Bridgestone tires for the street)

well, what form of 5 lug conversion are you doing? If you're using SN95 axles, I believe it sets each wheel out 3/4" more, so you might want something more along the lines of 5.5 BS.

There have been a lot of people w/ 17x9's posting lately, so you could probably find the size of tires they're using w/ a couple searches.

Good Luck :nice:

I'd suggest reconsidering that back spaceign for the 17x9.5. 4.5" is NOT enough.

I recently had custom backspace American racing Salt Flat wheels made for my car and swapped the Lincoln rotors/Ranger axles onto the car. I've attached a pic of my car. I have 16x8 with 5.25" backspace and 255/50R16 tires. You're planned 4.5" backspace on 9.5" wheels will make them stick out from under the car by a minimum of 2 full inches.

You'll have 1.5" more wheel and 1.25" less backspacing, pushing the wheels even further out. Closer to 3" out in fact.

BTW, if you go Lincoln Rotor/Ranger axle the wheels will bolt on no problem and it could save you much money.

1691255_2_full.jpg

Thanks everyone...tjm73, I haven't ordered them just yet, but what backspacing do you suggest??...3 inches sticking out may be a bit much huh? Also the 5 lug conversion "kit" that I'm going to use is theFord racing conversion "kit" I found in JEGs magazine....I will definetly post pictures when the project is complete in about 2 months or less

I assume you are talking about the FRPP $400 disc/drum kit versus the $1900 double throw-down disc/disc kit .... If so, then your GT will retain the same factory track dimensions ...

In this event you will want a +18mm offset (about 5.95" backspacing) for the 17x9.5" rear and about +12 offset (about 5" backspacing) for the front 17x8" wheels ...

Good choice!! ... I love the TT II's myself ..... Classy, yet sporty :nice:

http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Tolbert67 said:
Thanks everyone...tjm73, I haven't ordered them just yet, but what backspacing do you suggest??...3 inches sticking out may be a bit much huh? Also the 5 lug conversion "kit" that I'm going to use is theFord racing conversion "kit" I found in JEGs magazine....I will definetly post pictures when the project is complete in about 2 months or less

That depends on your rear brake/5 lug swap choice. You can go a few different ways so to even offer an opinion I'd have to know how you plan to swap to 5 lug brakes.

No matter what, you'll be closer to the max back space....which is 7" on the 9.5" BTW.

Bear with me while I post all the specs I plan to use for this project.....and give me you best opinion. I copied and paste the following from JEGS website/magazine ......

"Ford Racing 5-Lug Rear Brake Drum / Axle Shaft Kits

This kit includes one pair of 9'' x 1-3/4'' brake drums with 5 mounting holes on a 4.5'' diameter circle...and one pair of 28T axle shafts with mating 5-lug bolt pattern. Permits owners of 1979-93 Mustang/Capri vehicles with 9'' rear brakes and 8.8'' rear axle with 28T differential to fit 5-hole, 4.5'' diameter bolt circle wheels to them.

5-Lug Rear Brake Drum/Axle Shaft Kit
397-M-1126-A 1979-93 Mustang/Capri vehicles with 9'' rear brakes and 8.8'' rear end | View Product .........$199.00"

I copied and paste the folowing from jegs web sit/magazine.

" Ford Racing Front 5-Lug Conversion Rotors

Converting to 5-lug wheels has never been easier. This 11'', 5-lug front brake rotor kit allows 5-lug, 4.5'' diameter bolt circle wheels to be installed on 1987-93 Ford Mustang GT/LX (5.0L).
Note: Can be used on 1979-86 vehicles if spindle, struts, and brake hardware are changed to 1987-93 Mustang GT/LX (5.0L) components.

Kit Includes:

2 Rotors
2 Grease Seals
2 Cotter Pins

5-Lug Conversion Kits
397-M-1102-C 1987-93 Ford Mustang GT/LX 5.0L
11'', 5-Lug Front Brake Rotor Kit | View Product $189.99"

That's the Lincoln rotor/Ranger axle swap. You can buy after market rotors at the local Autozone for less (about $55 ea.). And you can get any '83-'93 Ranger drivers side axle and brake drum (2 of each). I got m ine from a junk yard for 55 each side axle and drum ($90 total). Last I knew the rear axle kit was backordered at FRPP.

Thanks tjm73...So knowing what you now know about the conversion kit , what backspacing should I order for the 17x 9 1/2 rear wheels?? and will the front wheels need special order backspacing??

6.75" of back space will place your outer wheel edge in the same place as mine, but may make inner wheel to wheelwell clearences tight. I expect to have my car on the hoist tonight to change the oil. I'll try to remember to check how much space is between my tire/wheel and the inner fender well.

Thanks tjm...I took a look at the all your nice pictures, your car is very nice. ......come to think of it, I actually want my back wheels to stick out about one inch...What do you think?......also, what about the horizonal shock????

I think that's 1970's talk and it's a bad idea. :notnice: Not for me.

The following is purely my opinion. You can take it or leave it. If you take it and something doesn't fit, it's not my responsibility.

I would buy 17x9.5 with 6" of backspace and run 275 or 285 width tires. I have done a semi technical drawing with max inner and outer distance markers baised on my old 15x8 draglite 275/50 combo and baised on the drawing the minimum backspace on a 9.5" wheel with a 275/285 tires is 5.5". This would barely keep the tire/wheel under the fenders. The max backspace without interfearence IMO would be 6". This would keep the inner edge of the tire from rubbing almost all of the time.

Now to look at the front. Be back in a minute.....

Again ...... The following is purely my opinion. You can take it or leave it. If you take it and something doesn't fit, it's not my responsibility.

17x8 w/ 5.75" backspace for the front with a 245/45R17 tire. The outside edge would be the same as the outside edge of my front wheel. You could use the 17x8 w/ 5.5" wheel specifically made for the SN95 cars, but it would push the wheels out by .25". Not a lot. It's a matter of personal preference.

I'd pay the extra and have it the way I know it'll look good. That's me.

Also I bought my wheels from www.wheelsforless.com and they were awesome to work with. I highly recommend them.

EDIT: Just checked my wheel place and they hae the 17x9.5 custom order for $303 ea. and the 17x8 custom order for $284 ea. The off the shelf 17x8 w/ 5.5" backspace is $234 ea.