Year One Is A Rip Off

Normally I wouldn't shop at Year One but some friends of ours bought us a gift certificate for Project Rustang, so i had to shop there. Everything costs more at Year One than it does at, say, CJ Pony Parts.

Anyway, we got a GC for $150, so I ordered the inner and outer rear wheel wells. Total, $206.50. Total with shipping: $354.91.

So, the GC covered the shipping costs for four pieces of sheet metal.

Last year I ordered a bunch of stuff from CJ Pony Parts and Mustangs Unlimited - frame extension, trunk floor, various floor pans - shipping was never more than $30-some dollars.

$148.41 for shipping. What a joke.

• Sponsors (?)

i have never found year one to be at all competitive even with the sale prices.

i almost always buy everything from mustangs unlimited, their prices are hard to beat to begin with but with the free shipping on orders over 300 bucks they can't be beat by anyone that i have found. i almost never order anything from the catalogs unless i spend that $300 or more anyway so that works perfect for me. second choice is CJ's and laurel mountain and american pony would be next in line

lauras70mach1 said:
Normally I wouldn't shop at Year One but some friends of ours bought us a gift certificate for Project Rustang, so i had to shop there. Everything costs more at Year One than it does at, say, CJ Pony Parts.

Anyway, we got a GC for $150, so I ordered the inner and outer rear wheel wells. Total, $206.50. Total with shipping: $354.91.

So, the GC covered the shipping costs for four pieces of sheet metal.

Last year I ordered a bunch of stuff from CJ Pony Parts and Mustangs Unlimited - frame extension, trunk floor, various floor pans - shipping was never more than $30-some dollars.

$148.41 for shipping. What a joke.

That doesn't seem right. I never noticed Year-1 ripping me off on shipping like that. Did you call them and ask them to explain what cost so much?

I wouldn't give up, ask to speak with someone until you get satisfaction. They should be willing to kick some of the cost back. If not, let us know & we'll all avoid them in the future!

LMan said:
When I heard that Y1 was getting into Mustang parts, I eagerly awaited that first catalog in the mail. I got the catalog, looked at the prices....and threw the catalog away.

i still have mine buried under a bunch of other catalogs and magazines, no idea why i kept it really but it's buried so far down now i'll have to do a lot of work to get down to it to throw it away now :rlaugh:

bnickel said:
i still have mine buried under a bunch of other catalogs and magazines, no idea why i kept it really but it's buried so far down now i'll have to do a lot of work to get down to it to throw it away now :rlaugh:

If you had seen their display at SEMA, you would understand why they are so high priced. One of the largest (most expensive) in the Restoration section. They are a big business with big overhead.

In their defence, they are are also big enough to take on the risk and expense of developing unique new products.

I get flyers all the time form Year One with a sale from 10 to 20% off but any of the items they are competitive on are exempt I only keep there catalog as a reference it does have some useful information in it. I use mustangs unlimited, CJ pony “website sucks”, Va Mustangs “don’t have 800# and they are hard to reach with questions”, NPD and Mustangs Plus “ very good catalog lots of reference information” of these CJ in my favorite. But when I had a problem with an order from Mustangs + Ron “owner” went out of his way to make it right. Changed my opinion of them even thought they have a low rating on here.

My next door neighbor is a big Chevy guy, and he showed me Year One's Camaro catalog. It is impressive. However, I never requested a catalog when I heard that they were getting into Mustangs. I just figured they were another "me too" company trying to expand. They are Chevy people at heart so why would they do Fords well?

I know that this is really poor reasoning on my part, isn't it? :D I don't want to give my money to Chevy people, how dumb is that! :rolleyes:

I think part of their profits goes into offsetting their returns. Don't they have an unlimited return policy? I once returned some items over one year old with no problem. It's been a while since I have done business with them. Something is wrong with such a large shipping fee, don't give up until you get something in return.

I ordered a "poly" upper ball joint dust boot from them. What I got was tie rod dust boots (mistake in their catalog) I called them on it and they admitted their mistake in the catalog and told me to keep them while refunding my money. I have never bought anything big from them but other than that I have had no issues with them.