yes or no for gears?

DMAN302

My mom says thanks for the pearl necklace.
Nov 8, 2003
windsor, Canada
My 88 gt runs like a bear with the 2.73 gear in it, I kind of enjoy the long second gear as the power comes on when the tach crosses the 2800-3000 mark, but I can't say it doesn't feel a bit flat under the 2500 mark, How much difference is there really with a swap to 3.73 in the performance of the car, do second and third become to short? Does it really FEEL that different cause $340 for gear and rebuild kit (Canadian) and another $300 to install is a big bite so I really would like some input as to how big a deal the "FELT" effect is.

• Sponsors (?)

It is a massive difference putting gears in. I went from 3.08's to 3.73's and it felt like the car picked up a hundred horsepower from it. And you will still be able to cruise 60 mph at 2000-2200 rpm.

Come on....100horse pick up is a real reach but you are definately starting to make a case for it. So maybe I'll go ahead with it, but don't feel you need to stop convincing me cause I really appreciate as much input as I can before I jump on a new mod.

yes i had 4.10's in my 87 lx and they were outta this world. this time being blown i dont want to rev up so fast so i will go 3.55 this time i guess.but they are in the top 5 i would say for cheap mods.

I went from 3.55 to 4.10. The best money I have ever spent!!!!!!!!

DMAN302 said:
My 88 gt runs like a bear with the 2.73 gear in it, I kind of enjoy the long second gear as the power comes on when the tach crosses the 2800-3000 mark, but I can't say it doesn't feel a bit flat under the 2500 mark, How much difference is there really with a swap to 3.73 in the performance of the car, do second and third become to short? Does it really FEEL that different cause $340 for gear and rebuild kit (Canadian) and another $300 to install is a big bite so I really would like some input as to how big a deal the "FELT" effect is.

Cool, one of my questions was just answered! But overall, for street racing (every once in a while) and daily driving, should I go with the 3.55s? I also have an 88 GT with 2.73 and I am worried I will burn up my clutch with the current gears.

Went from 2.73's to 3.27's and loved it. May go higher now that I'm starting all over again (she was in hibernation for 2 years!) and shes not my dily driver. But I'm not sure about it with the AOD...dont want to burn thru second and third too quick. Also concerned about my cruising RPM's...especially since I have a problem driving under 75 on the highway. I keep driving faster the older I get. LOL

I would say the 3.73's would be the better for city driving. You don't have to put your foot into it as much to get going. Out on the highway though is where your milage would go down with the 3.73's running at a higher rpm.

_JB_ said:
Cool, one of my questions was just answered! But overall, for street racing (every once in a while) and daily driving, should I go with the 3.55s? I also have an 88 GT with 2.73 and I am worried I will burn up my clutch with the current gears.
I went from 2.73's to 3.55's in my full weight 5-speed LX, and honestly, if I could do it all over again, I'd go with the 3.73's. Don't get me wrong, the 3.55's are still a night and day improvement over the 2.73's, but it could still use juuuuuuust a little more. The only disadvantage to them, is that when you're tired at the end of the day and are feeling lazy in stop and go traffic, you'll find yourself alllllways rowing through the gears. First gear get's pretty short when you get beyond the 3.55-mark. :(

.....and don't worry at all about burning out your clutch or transmission with the stock 2.73's. As long as you're not running around towing a boat, the stock 10.5 Valeo will hold up fine.:nice:

NorCal66 said:
i have a quick kind of add on question: how would 3.73s affect CITY gas milage compared to the 2.73s, I'm kind of in the same situation :shrug:

If you're talking about the car in your sig, it will be a LOT different for you. I notice you have a C-4 which is obviously not an overdrive transmission. I have 3.50's in my '65 and that's all the higher I would go if you run around on the freeway at all. Gas mileage really isn't affected that much with the overdrive tranny, but with the C-4 you will notice a definite drop in MPG, and your cruising RPM will go up quite a bit on the highway.

Gearbanger 101 said:
I went from 2.73's to 3.55's in my full weight 5-speed LX, and honestly, if I could do it all over again, I'd go with the 3.73's. Don't get me wrong, the 3.55's are still a night and day improvement over the 2.73's, but it could still use juuuuuuust a little more. The only disadvantage to them, is that when you're tired at the end of the day and are feeling lazy in stop and go traffic, you'll find yourself alllllways rowing through the gears. First gear get's pretty short when you get beyond the 3.55-mark. :(

.....and don't worry at all about burning out your clutch or transmission with the stock 2.73's. As long as you're not running around towing a boat, the stock 10.5 Valeo will hold up fine.:nice:

With the T-5 on the highway, going between 70-80mph, would the engine be really cranking if I go with the 3.73s?

_JB_ said:
With the T-5 on the highway, going between 70-80mph, would the engine be really cranking if I go with the 3.73s?

No, actually it puts the engine right into the beginning of it's powerband around 2,300 and 2,500 rpm. These cars should have come standard with at least 3.27's or 3.55's as far as I'm concerned. Don't fear the gear!