yes or no for gears?

Mustangs are Mystery Machines sometimes... In my 5sp with 2.73 gear, the 2nd gear goes to 85 mph! Fortunately I've got a new set of gears awaiting install. 2.73 to 4.10!! I wonder if I'll I'll feel the difference? lol

• Sponsors (?)

GMstomper said:
Went from 2.73's to 3.27's and loved it. May go higher now that I'm starting all over again (she was in hibernation for 2 years!) and shes not my dily driver. But I'm not sure about it with the AOD...dont want to burn thru second and third too quick. Also concerned about my cruising RPM's...especially since I have a problem driving under 75 on the highway. I keep driving faster the older I get. LOL

Hey I am pulling My 86 out of storage after 2yrs also. Thanks uncle sam. Anyway, I was considering 3.55s should I go 3.73 and since I have never installed gears on the car what came in it at first? :shrug:

Tillman86 said:
Hey I am pulling My 86 out of storage after 2yrs also. Thanks uncle sam. Anyway, I was considering 3.55s should I go 3.73 and since I have never installed gears on the car what came in it at first?
Read my previous post....and originally yours came with 2.73's only, for that year.
Gearbanger 101 said:
I went from 2.73's to 3.55's in my full weight 5-speed LX, and honestly, if I could do it all over again, I'd go with the 3.73's. Don't get me wrong, the 3.55's are still a night and day improvement over the 2.73's, but it could still use juuuuuuust a little more. The only disadvantage to them, is that when you're tired at the end of the day and are feeling lazy in stop and go traffic, you'll find yourself alllllways rowing through the gears. First gear get's pretty short when you get beyond the 3.55-mark. :(