Yet another B-cam thread, install or not?

mattfleming

Mar 22, 2004
Ok.. i've searched and researched and I am getting mixed opinions about the B303 cam.

My car has full exhaust (equals back) and will be soon installed with a nice TMOSS ported manifold.
The car is a 5 speed and has stock heads. It will be mostly accessory free as soon as i order the A/C elim (no ac or smog, full removal)
4.10s will be going in by spring if i can still afford it.

I currently -own- a b cam (notice, no purchase price)
Will it be worth my time/trouble to install the cam? Some hate the cam, and some love it.. but how would it match up to a full bolt on car?
I don't really care about driveability.. the car is not a daily driver, but it would still be nice to retain SOME driveability.
Will it increase my performance, or will it kill my powerband with the stock heads?
If it will raise my powerband and give me a couple ponies, i'll be happy.. but if it goes that poorly with the stock heads, i don't want to touch it!
Should I install it when i put the TMOSS on or not?

All help is appreciated..

• Sponsors (?)

mattfleming said:
Ok.. i've searched and researched and I am getting mixed opinions about the B303 cam.

My car has full exhaust (equals back) and will be soon installed with a nice TMOSS ported manifold.
The car is a 5 speed and has stock heads. It will be mostly accessory free as soon as i order the A/C elim (no ac or smog, full removal)
4.10s will be going in by spring if i can still afford it.

I currently -own- a b cam (notice, no purchase price)
Will it be worth my time/trouble to install the cam? Some hate the cam, and some love it.. but how would it match up to a full bolt on car?
I don't really care about driveability.. the car is not a daily driver, but it would still be nice to retain SOME driveability.
Will it increase my performance, or will it kill my powerband with the stock heads?
If it will raise my powerband and give me a couple ponies, i'll be happy.. but if it goes that poorly with the stock heads, i don't want to touch it!
Should I install it when i put the TMOSS on or not?

All help is appreciated..
It boils down to money and how long do you want it this way. If you have it and have the money to put it in do it. You will enjoy it. If you have money to do a custom cam and going to keep it the same for awhile go with a custom cam.

yea my car is a prefect daily driver, gets 17mpg on the road, and EVERYONE stares when they hear that idle.

Not only that, i personally think the cam helps over stock, ive driven a few stock mustangs, and i think she pulls pretty good, power dosent come till around 2500-3000 but she pulls after that. And look at my sig, bcam, gears, mid pipe and cat back and i ran a 13.8 at 99 with a 2.0 60' on street tires the 4th time ive ever been to the track

Like everyone else said if you have the money and time do it you will probably enjoy it, but in the end youll probably be switching it out later for a better cam. Cause there DEFINATLY are millions of better cams then the bcam.

If you have it, don't be afraid to use it.

I have a B303 in my portly '90 GT convertible and I've run as fast as 13.78 @ 100 mph in 100% street trim plus tools in the trunk.

Sounds mean as hell and it does get looks at stop lights and in paking lots. When I had the Mac Prochamber on it it sounded totally different. Almost exotic under throttle.

BTW - I have 3.73 gears and on a 240 mile round trip this past summer I got 23-24 mpg. Not bad all things considered.

my friend has one in his 306 and he runs some awesome times. of course hes got nitrous, TW heads, and a holley systemax intake with the supporting goods. i think its too mild for his car personally, but he runs some great times (11s).

I'm running 3.73's, full exhaust (including longtubes), MGW shifter, B cam, 306 c.i. w/ TRW pistons, and U/D pullies. its nasty! that idle is awesome, the grumble gets stares like stated before. you wont regret it :) the power comes on just above 2k, and its good for a while. awesome power! (im runnin E7's as well, no porting, just a clean up job).

Just going by what I`ve read in the past from a long time ago,a "B" cam is way too big for a stock motor and you will usually end up going slower in the case of a stock motor with the B cam installed,and have poorer driveability.

The B cam was THE FIRST performance cam for the 5.0L engine way back,but it`s time has certainly come and gone.

I would not personally install this cam in a stock type motor.
(I`m not trying to stop you...install it and compare the difference yourself,then judge if it was worth the hassle of installation on a stock motor):D.

8950HO said:
Just going by what I`ve read in the past from a long time ago,a "B" cam is way too big for a stock motor and you will usually end up going slower in the case of a stock motor with the B cam installed,and have poorer driveability.

Wrong, wrong and wrong. I have a B cam in a other wise stock engine and it is not too big, the car is faster and the driveability is just as good as stock.

tjm73 said:
Wrong, wrong and wrong. I have a B cam in a other wise stock engine and it is not too big, the car is faster and the driveability is just as good as stock.

Like I said...just going by what I`ve read in the past,but I can`t see driveability being as good as stock with the extra duration @.050' lift of the B cam.

You say your car is faster with the B cam in an otherwise stock engine.
Did you take it to the track to find out for 100% sure or are you going by the lumpy idle which some people think makes it faster???

8950HO said:
You say your car is faster with the B cam in an otherwise stock engine. Did you take it to the track to find out for 100% sure .....makes it faster???

Yes I did go to the track and yes I did go faster by almost .75. Not huge, but I did go faster.

Just an update guys, installed the TMOSS a few days ago.. doing a few more mods before track time (battery relocation, sway bar removal, new wheels/tires.)
I'm not going to install it -yet- that way i can get some before/after times with the cam.. I've heard tons of conflicting stories, and i'm gonna attempt to settle it. Times will come this spring/summer! I'm gonna get an adjustable timing chain and try it 4* advanced (with the limitations of the TMOSS for upper RPMS, i think that will be the best way to get the most power out of it)
I'll keep you updated!

By the way, highly suggest a TMOSS port job.. :)

Be sure to jot down your 1/4 mile MPH at the track before and after the swap, but also jot down weather conditions and be sure to run at the same track with as close to the same set-up you did before the cam change....good luck, my prediction is that you will see a slight improvement in power.

matt - I think you really have two different things going on as you contemplate this install. I believe the car could be marginally quicker at the strip with the B -- compared to the stock HO cam with your other mods. (There's a chance that it won't be though -- posters up above running 13.8's with the B -- there are plenty of guys out there running well into the 12's on stock heads and cams) If that's what you're after, and the other impacts don't bother you, go for it. The challenge is that when you're street driving the car, the vast majority of time is spent under 3000 rpm. In that range the HO cam is likely to make significantly more torque than the B will. That simply makes for a car that is much more responsive to throttle inputs in the lower rpm range - it's more fun to drive on the street. You'll make up for some of that torque loss with your steep gearing - but that gearing is even more fun on the street with MORE torque.

I think the question is really what's important to you -- strip times which allow the engine to operate from 3500 rpm and up; or street manners which allow the engine to operate below 3500 rpm. It's a personal choice only you can make. My car never sees action at the strip -- and the best move I ever made was pulling the E303 cam out of it and putting in a custom grind that was designed to make lots of torque below 4000 rpm. But that's what I wanted --- you have to decide what you want.

There is a trend I think --- generally speaking (always exceptions) as we get older and mature a bit, we tend to prefer a nice, broad, flat high average torque curve as opposed to wringing every peak HP out of one that we can get. Lazy perhaps - but I don't even want to have to bother with downshifting -- I just want to mash the gas in 4th and have the car scoot. And that's how mine's set up.

Let us know the before and afters -- but be careful; it's actually pretty difficult to get matching conditions (similar driver, track, track conditions, tire conditions, etc.) where you have valid data to compare.

mattfleming said:
By the way, highly suggest a TMOSS port job.. :)

Thank you.

As C. Harris said, try to get weather conditions on your track days - if there are proeffesional teams there (local or otherwise) drop by and ask what temperature, humidty and "DA" are and jot them down on your time slip. MPH through the traps will help tell the story.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the input guys.. its great to have input from some educated people. Most people who post in these "what cam" or 'should i do this" threads usually post up heresay and have no idea what they are talking about. I'm really pleased to know that this thread grabbed the attention of some members who know their stuff :)

C.Harris said:
Be sure to jot down your 1/4 mile MPH at the track before and after the swap, but also jot down weather conditions and be sure to run at the same track with as close to the same set-up you did before the cam change....good luck, my prediction is that you will see a slight improvement in power.

I always keep my time slips.. Even when I was drag racing my Z24 cavalier I paid close attention to track conditions. Since i've not had the opportunity to learn the launching mannerisms of the 'Stang yet, i'm sure i'll have a couple days of practice. I live a couple hours from Bristol, VA.. anyone who knows about that track knows that times will be ~.5sec slower than normal,
but it will be fun to test this out. I keep a notebook in my toolbox when I make track trips :)

Michael Yount said:
.....The challenge is that when you're street driving the car, the vast majority of time is spent under 3000 rpm. In that range the HO cam is likely to make significantly more torque than the B will. That simply makes for a car that is much more responsive to throttle inputs in the lower rpm range - it's more fun to drive on the street.
It's a personal choice only you can make. My car never sees action at the strip -- and the best move I ever made was pulling the E303 cam out of it and putting in a custom grind that was designed to make lots of torque below 4000 rpm. But that's what I wanted --- you have to decide what you want.

Let us know the before and afters -- but be careful; it's actually pretty difficult to get matching conditions (similar driver, track, track conditions, tire conditions, etc.) where you have valid data to compare......

I agree.. Street driving is a consideration, but this is not my daily driver. I live in a mountainous area and its nice to have a more "sloped" torque curve for tackling the curves (matches up nicely with exits from corners.. ) The car will see a lot of tracktime.. Since I already have a gasket set AND the cam, the install would be worth it just to provide some good info for me and for others. I'll probably have several "before" the cam runs, on different dates, and several "after" cam runs, on different dates. I know the info won't be perfect, but i'll try!