yet another combo thread - but its MY 1st

MrKwik

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2000
Kansas City, Kansas
I am building a different engine for one of my cars totally out of stuff that I already have on hand. The only things I plan on actually buying are rings, bearing, gaskets and valve springs. Basically I have a few different cams, intakes, carbs and gears that I can choose from. I know what I think would run best but I am curious how my opinion compares to other poeple. And before the "get a custom cam because alpha-cams suck!" crowd chimes in....not an option. This is what I have to choose from so please give an opinion on the best combo of only the variable parts I have listed. This is a mostly street/some strip weekend toy, not a driver. car already has decent hooking yet low buck suspension setup, subframes etc.

The constants:
-85GT shortblock, basic rebuild, good bolts, main girdle & windage tray
-World\Roush 200 heads, 2.02 valves, mild port work, 1.6RR's
-BBK unequal shorties, 2.5 MAC off road pipe, 2.5 MAC cat back w\dumps
-MSD Ignition with billet distributor, blaster3 coil & 6AL (7k pill)
-T5, centerforce stage 2 clutch

variables:
Cams: FMS E303, FMS B303, FMS X303
Intakes: Edelbrock performer RPM, Edelbrock Victor Jr.
carbs: Carter 625 (same as edlbrock), Holley 650DP, Holley 750 vac-sec
Rears: 8.8 w/3.73 or 8.8 w/4.10

What do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

Valve clearance a concearn for you?..the 85 style pistons may not allow you the options you want due to PVC issues. Parts lists looks like it will be an damn fine ride, good luck.

DMAN302 said:
Valve clearance a concearn for you?..the 85 style pistons may not allow you the options you want due to PVC issues. Parts lists looks like it will be an damn fine ride, good luck.
Not so much. The 85 pistons look to have the same valve clearance as the later pistons, I will be checking it anyway though. The reasoning is that the 85 pistons are flat tops and I need all the compression help I can get since my heads are 64cc.

Is the x303 cam cam ok with 7.2 roller rockers?

Wow you guys seem familiar with the x303cam cam. Is the x303 cam cam ok with 7.2 roller rockers? looking at changing out my b303cam 7.2 roller rockers?