Yet another gas mileage ????

skycop216

Feb 5, 2004
I have an 04 GT Vert. Automatic. Stock with the exception of flowmaster 40's and a working Mach 1 hood scoop. (Kar Kraft real one not CDC).

No matter what I do I only get to 240-260 miles before the "low fuel" light comes on. (I just spent the last tank of gas driving real slow and making sure I did not floor the car at all and I still only got 260 miles before the low fuel light came on). Is this about normal for an automatic or is there something wrong here? Could the working hood scoop be reducing the mileage by letting more air in or?? Just curious.

• Sponsors (?)

I drove my 96GT saturday on a trip me and the wife took and it went 350 miles and still had about 1/8th of a tank before I stopped for gas. It's an automatic with the only thing done is a K&N and accel coil packs. It will go over 300 miles every tank.

skycop216 said:
I have an 04 GT Vert. Automatic. Stock with the exception of flowmaster 40's and a working Mach 1 hood scoop. (Kar Kraft real one not CDC).

No matter what I do I only get to 240-260 miles before the "low fuel" light comes on. (I just spent the last tank of gas driving real slow and making sure I did not floor the car at all and I still only got 260 miles before the low fuel light came on). Is this about normal for an automatic or is there something wrong here? Could the working hood scoop be reducing the mileage by letting more air in or?? Just curious.

If you are driving all highway, then you should get 300 or more to a tank. That is ALL highway, though, at cruising speeds. If you are driving around town then you are about right on. I wouldn't worry unless you are highway driving and getting those results.

I'm getting about 15.X mpg. My only performance mod is the superchips tune. It does promise more mileage, and in a sense, I am getting more mileage because I accelerate the car more with the performance tune and get 15.X mpg. On the stock tune, I didn't accelerate the car as much and still got 15.X mpg.

skycop216 said:
No matter what I do I only get to 240-260 miles before the "low fuel" light comes on.

That is about what I get driving around town. Adding the KarKraft shaker didn't change my gas mileage at all; either up or down.

FWIW.....I've only been through 2 tanks since I bought my '03 5-speed in early June, but I got 23.X miles per gallon on both. When I drive it it's only to work M-F and it's 80% 55mph highway. I don't drive it like a granny, but I don't stomp it much either. :nice: Oh, it is stock except for a K&N replacement filter. I took the air "snorkel" off of it this past weekend, but haven't driven it the first mile yet. I'm hoping for at least a .0001 mpg increase! :D

do i have the freak of the bunch? i'm not nice to my 2002 GT but mostr of my driving is highway...a little gear grabbing, a couple triple digit sprints...still get above 20mpg everytime with a high of 25.3mpg so far...i'm convinced all highway on a trip i could see 26+...i average almost 300 miles to a tank and that's just before the light comes on...usually i'm over that...generally about 305-320mpt

I had a road trip this past weekend... driving on 95 the whole time, I went 290 miles on a tank with an average speed of 85 MPH (stock gear so my RPMs were about 2300) that ended up being 22 MPG... and my last fill up I only got 219 miles on that tank only cause I got my shifter and I have been driving like an @ss!

I must be doing something right. I took a highway trip a few weeks ago and got 27mpg with the air on. That was on a 2 lane highway where I had to pass quite a bit. I've never checked how many miles to a tank though. I haven't checked the mileage since. Could be a freak thing I guess.

240-260 miles before getting the low fuel light sounds about right. I usually get about the same. Of course, I also do a lot of in town driving and I have all the mods in my signature. On the open highway, I can still see about 20-21 mpg.

Tips for getting better gas mileage:

1. Quit flooring it down every straight away you reach. :D

2. Change the fuel filter as it needs changing. I change mine once every year. Its cheap insurance.

3. Only buy gasoline from trusted companies. I always buy from Exxon or Shell. I trust these two. I avoid most of anyone that is not a major brand.

4. You can try adding gasoline additives to help improve mileage, but becareful what kind you use and how often you use it.

I use the Amsoil PI additive with great results. Its a synthetic fuel additve that contains no petroleum, and all you need is 6 oz. per 10 gallons of gas for the initial clean up and 1 oz. per gallon every tank following that.