Yet another overheating question

Black Sun 5.0

Founding Member
Mar 23, 2002
L.I., N.Y.
OK. Quick rundown on hardware- new t-stat (stock temp), 1 year old radiator, brand new sn95 electric fan. Now, at idle it cools amazingly, but while on the highway, it starts to heat up, my autometer gauge claimed at one point 220*, and I'm sure it would have kept going if I didn't hit stop and go. This problem is primarily during the day, at night it seems more controlled. If the car got that hot, would it not boil over? I checked my oil in case it's a head gasket, all seems fine. Last year I had a shop swap out 3 gauges, the last one read correctly. Is it possible that some electrical problem could be screwing up my gauge? I swear this is my annual summer misery with this car. Everything else runs great.

• Sponsors (?)

Hmmm...well if it happens during the summer it is definatly related to the heat and not electrical...

What kind of radiator you got?...you might ought to try to burp the system and see if that might help something :shrug:

Good Luck...

overheating on the highway suggests clogged radiator.....
220 is getting hot, but not totally unacceptable. puter pulls timing at 226, IIRC.

you might want to swap your rad cap. the pressure in the system raises the boiling point. if the cap does not hold sufficient pressure, the system is not as effective.

good luck.

The thing about the radiator is that it's only a year old and I did a flush on it last week in case there was something clogging the system. Cap is new, too. It cools all too well at idle, I hit the gas after sitting for a few seconds and the temp gauge nosedives.

Do you think you're overheating because of the gauge, or are you actually boiling over?

A higher pressure cap won't make you run any cooler, it will only help to prevent boil-overs by raising the boiling point.

At 15psi, the boiling point of water is 240 deg F, so I'm guessing you're not boiling over at 220 with a 15 lb cap.