Yet another Predator thread: Auto guys, what do you have your Shift Firmness set to?

• Sponsors (?)

A firmer shift is better for an automatic it when the shifts are sloppy and it start slipping when things go wrong. Unless you have to much power for your tanny then you can rip thing apart.

What about Torque Modulation?

I've set my torque modulation to 50% but haven't noticed any difference in the shift feel. What IS the torque modulation and does anyone recommend where to set it (stock, 50% or off)?

Thx.

If I understand it correctly, valves open/close so an accumulator is filled during the shift. When it fills, the shift completes. The part-throttle shift is done slowly so granny doesn't break her neck during the shift. There's a lot of slipping of the clutches, just like you were releasing the clutch pedal really slow in a manual transmission. A firm shift in an auto is done by increasing the line pressure during the shift so the shift happens quicker. I think shift kits open up the valve openings so the accumulator fills quicker without increasing the line pressure.

The latest revision of the Predator software lets you tweak the Shift Pressure for part-throttle and WOT shifts. I was wondering what other folks had their part throttle shift firmness set at.

Torque Modulation is backing off the timing to reduce (or modulate) the torque during the shift. In a manual, this is similar to keeping your foot off the gas pedal until you've fully released the clutch. This is also done so granny doesn't spill her coffee when the car shifts. I have mine set to 100%, meaning all available torque is used during the shift.

Anyone else have their part-throttle Shift Pressures bumped up?

streetstang03 said:
damn...now your making me want to go buy one :nonono: i think it would be a good idea to get a tranny cooler to prevent breaking and to increase the life of your tranny. its $50 that will save you an ass load in the future. How much of a SOTP increase did you feel with the Predator?? does the car feel faster?? :shrug:
Yes, I plan on getting a tranny cooler. Increasing the shift pressure makes shorter quicker shifts with less slippage. It leads to less heat thus longer life.

Good SOTP. Lots of added umph in the low end. Most mods give you high RPM gains only. This one has a lot in the low RPM range too. It idles and screams smoother too. Second gear scratches are common. It almost feels and sounds like a manual trans. But that's another Predator thread.... Read them all.

Shift Pressure, anyone?

I do!

I think I'm going to set my shift pressure (part throttle) to about 35 or 40 for each gear. It will jerk me a little, but the car just feels sooooo much more responsive than stock. Stock part-throttle shifts are so sluggish. Fixing shift firmness is one of the main reasons I got my preadator. I love the thing!

I haven't messed with a lot of WOT settings. I wanted to be sure my transmission could take it first. I'd like to put the WOT shift firmness up to around 90-100-110 each, somewhere in that range. I've tried it before with Torque Modulation off, and man! That thing will bark and kick sideways in the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts! :nice: Surprised the heck out of me. I knew the money was worth it then.

Then I got 4.10s, and well... let's just say a predator and 4.10s can make a GT a low-end monster. :D It sure beats stock!

I'm going to get a tranny cooler soon. That is my next mod.

How much can our auto trannys take? Could they survive on using the firmest settings for everything?

Red03Mustang said:
I think I'm going to set my shift pressure (part throttle) to about 35 or 40 for each gear. It will jerk me a little, but the car just feels sooooo much more responsive than stock. Stock part-throttle shifts are so sluggish. Fixing shift firmness is one of the main reasons I got my preadator. I love the thing!

I haven't messed with a lot of WOT settings. I wanted to be sure my transmission could take it first. I'd like to put the WOT shift firmness up to around 90-100-110 each, somewhere in that range. I've tried it before with Torque Modulation off, and man! That thing will bark and kick sideways in the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts! :nice: Surprised the heck out of me. I knew the money was worth it then.

Then I got 4.10s, and well... let's just say a predator and 4.10s can make a GT a low-end monster. :D It sure beats stock!

How much can our auto trannys take? Could they survive on using the firmest settings for everything?

Dam! You and I are going down the same path. I want to firm up part-throttle shifts but I don't know how much pressure increase can the 4r70w take. I just did a couple of clicks to the right. I don't want to max it out until I learn more about this line pressure thing. I can't find information on what the stock shift pressures are.

Tweaking WOT shifts will come later.

Red03Mustang said:

So your saying the shifts or firmer with the torque modulation set to OFF? :shrug: