Yet another spring/shock post...Please Help

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by DocZG, Jan 5, 2007.

1. DocZG

DocZG New Member

Ok before i get flamed i would like to say that i have searched this site for several days and havent quite found what i am looking for, so i will ask.

My bro is in H.S. (so money is almost non-existant) and we purchased his first ride, its a 1990 notch 4cyl to v8 conversion. The previous owner put new rear control arms, alum drive shaft, subframes, and many other mods, but it still has the 4 banger springs and hella crappy monroe shocks. I mean you hit a pot hole and it feelsl like the kmember is making love to the asphalt. I really need to change this stuff out because it is seriously unsafe to be driving as is.

I am looking for some serious bang for the buck and i have several combos i am looking at.

1. Cut stock SN95 GT springs and KYB GR-2s....i have the springs, and can get all 4 shocks/struts for like $130 shipped on Ebay (and probably change to aftermarket springs when money permits)

2. Ford C-Springs and GR-2s combo would be like $300 or so.

3. Tokico HP spring/strut/shock package is like $360 shipped on Ebay

I would like a decently smooth ride but still have better handling than stock. I know that they Tokico package would probably be best but if the other combos could have similar performance/ride I would like to keep my extra change.

I have heard really mixed reviews on GR-2s but they are cheap and have a lifetime warranty which is really awesome.

It would be really awesome if you guys could just give me some info on expected ride/perf for each set up.

Thanks
    Zach
  2. DocZG

DocZG New Member

c'mon guys, if you could just chime in a say i had C springs and GR2s and it ride like s**t but handled good, or whatever would be awesome....
  3. superhuaman

superhuaman New Member

Just put on new KYB GR-2's all the way around and keep the springs - for now. Are the rear arms poly? That helps too. Does your car still have the 4-banger (10") front brakes? If it does, you can't put the V8 struts on the front. V8 strut mounting is narrower than 4 cylinder strut mounting. And you really need the V8 strut with your V8.

I have a 1990 4cyl to 5.0 conversion...with GR2's and stock springs in the front. Eibach Prokit 1" lowering in the rear.

[​IMG]

It actually sits lower than that now, but the front to rear height proportion is still the same.
  4. DocZG

DocZG New Member

thats really good to know, cuz i have wondered, but forgot to ask.

I havent looked, but i think that they are changed, cuz the brake pedal is pretty stiff. Im betting that the brakes were changed and the MC wasnt. And yes the rear arms are poly, i dont know what brand, but they are regular non adjustable. Thanks for the heads up.... I need to go check.
  5. superhuaman

superhuaman New Member

well the MC for the 10" 4cyl brakes and the 11" V8 brakes (we're talking 4 lug here) is the same. the 4cyl uses like an 8" single diaphragm booster and the V8 uses like a 6" dual diaphragm booster. And of course if you have something bigger (5 lug) then it should have a different MC. It should also be stiffer than stock, even with the proper MC.
  6. onefstsnake

onefstsnake New Member

I went with Tokico Blues and Steeda Sport springs and the car feels great.