Yet another timing related question...

Cman88

May 11, 2006
Before anyone asks, yes I searched prior to making this post...

I wanted to know where the timing mark SHOULD be... I've unplugged the two pin connector (which just had a short pin in it) and hit it with a light... Timing mark (10) shows up in the middle of the marker... Kinda in this little "valley". There is a flat spot towards the right that I call a pointer, and a circle at the far left end. If I set the mark to the pointer (full right) the car runs like ass and has no power. I put it back to where I found it and it runs quite well. Where is the mark supposed to be? In the middle? On the pointer? In the circle?

• Sponsors (?)

it should be on the pointer at the far right. so if you set it in the middle youre probably running anywhere from 14-16* which is why you think the car runs like ass if you set it at the pointer.

And if it runs like poo at what should be a given timing setting, check the balancer for a slipped outer ring (visual inspection or bring it to TDC and note the timing marks).

Good luck.

dragnazz5.0 said:
it should be on the pointer at the far right. so if you set it in the middle youre probably running anywhere from 14-16* which is why you think the car runs like ass if you set it at the pointer.

That is what I thought. This sucks. If I set it to where it "should" be, the car has no balls at all. I mean absolutely no power. Put it back and it spins tires out of first gear with half throttle. I guess its time to check for a broken/slipping balancer.

Alright... A little update with pictures..

Alright. Here is my indicator.. The mark appears in the middle of the indicator. I just thought I would post a picture for reference..

wMTI0Njk4OTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Here is the damper with the pulley removed. I don't see any evidence of it being spun. Am I missing something?

wMTI0Njk4NjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

And this is the two pin connector that I removed the short pin from in order to set the timing...

wMTI0Njk4ODZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Working on getting this site added to the list of supported sites. Sorry about the pictures..

Alright, the pictures work now. I am in the process of changing out the harmonic balancer right now. Just removed the bolt and its soaked in oil. Whats this a sign of?