Yet another timing related question...

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by Cman88, May 23, 2006.

1. Cman88

Cman88 New Member

Before anyone asks, yes I searched prior to making this post...

I wanted to know where the timing mark SHOULD be... I've unplugged the two pin connector (which just had a short pin in it) and hit it with a light... Timing mark (10) shows up in the middle of the marker... Kinda in this little "valley". There is a flat spot towards the right that I call a pointer, and a circle at the far left end. If I set the mark to the pointer (full right) the car runs like ass and has no power. I put it back to where I found it and it runs quite well. Where is the mark supposed to be? In the middle? On the pointer? In the circle?

2. dragnazz5.0

dragnazz5.0 My "0" key d0esn't w0rk, s0 I have t0 use the zer0

it should be on the pointer at the far right. so if you set it in the middle youre probably running anywhere from 14-16* which is why you think the car runs like ass if you set it at the pointer.

3. HISSIN50

HISSIN50 "How long does it take to get help in here? SN Certified Technician

And if it runs like poo at what should be a given timing setting, check the balancer for a slipped outer ring (visual inspection or bring it to TDC and note the timing marks).

Good luck.

4. Cman88

Cman88 New Member

That is what I thought. This sucks. If I set it to where it "should" be, the car has no balls at all. I mean absolutely no power. Put it back and it spins tires out of first gear with half throttle. I guess its time to check for a broken/slipping balancer.

5. Cman88

Cman88 New Member

Alright... A little update with pictures..

Alright. Here is my indicator.. The mark appears in the middle of the indicator. I just thought I would post a picture for reference..

[​IMG]

Here is the damper with the pulley removed. I don't see any evidence of it being spun. Am I missing something?

[​IMG]

And this is the two pin connector that I removed the short pin from in order to set the timing...

[​IMG]

Working on getting this site added to the list of supported sites. Sorry about the pictures..

6. Cman88

Cman88 New Member

Alright, the pictures work now. I am in the process of changing out the harmonic balancer right now. Just removed the bolt and its soaked in oil. Whats this a sign of?