YOM Registration (vintage plates)

Discussion in '1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-' started by tx65coupe, Feb 3, 2009.

1. tx65coupe

tx65coupe Active Member

Hey,

Does anyone in Texas have their classic registered with year of manufacture license plates? I have a nice pair of 1965 TX plates for my Mustang. I'm curious to know how you go about registering it this way.

I have looked online and was unable to find much about it. The local tax assesors office website does not have any information about it. I have found a few forums discuss it like the corvette forum. I also found a website that sells vintage plates that talks about it.

About the Texas Year of Manufacture Law - TurnerPlates.com

Can I register it like this with out limiting how much I can drive it? I know someone that registered it this way and then went and got it inspected etc and drives it all the time. He has both the regular stickers on the windshield.
  2. bnickel

bnickel Founding Member

i was told that it is like registering the car with those antique vehicle plates, for limited use only. i also have a set of 69 plates for either my mustang or my cougar if i decide to use them on either one.
  3. afast93stang

afast93stang Founding Member

When I did the title transfer for my 67 last August, I also asked about the vintage plates. The DMV lady said that they need to run a check on the #s to make sure that its not currently in circulation and that the paint is in good/readable condition. Other than filling out the paperwork and paying a fee, you should be good to go.
  4. tx65coupe

tx65coupe Active Member

Thanks for the input.

I am going to go over there today and see what they say. I just didn't want to be in for any surprises or not know what I was talking about.

I have read in a couple other places basically the same thing that you just said.

I did find out that there is a difference between registering as a classic and as an antique.

If you register as a classic there is no limited use. If you register as an antique there is limited use.

Apparently to run vintage plates you have to register as one or the other.
  5. afast93stang

afast93stang Founding Member

If I remember correctly, if you register as an antique you are limited in mileage per year along with only being able to drive it in special events like parades and only to and from those events.