York Compressor, high head pressure and fan shroud...

WarrenC

Jun 4, 2004
Just got my car back from the shop after having the compressor changed for the second time. The shop changed it for free under warranty, but said I have to put on a clutch fan and shroud (something I changed last year because of overheating problems, the shroud is another story) because the head pressure in the compressor is getting too high (400 lbs).
I finally got the overheating problem fixed this year (it wasn't the fan) with a new water pump, radiator rebuild, flush out the block, etc..., but it would seem to me the fixed fan I put on last year should flow more air than the stock clutch fan I took off. It's about 1 1/2" from the radiator (no shroud because the new fan caught it and destroyed it) and seems to keep everything cool.
Just wondered if they are grabbing at straws to find a reason why the new compressor went out.

I'm going to put the stock clutch fan back on and install a shroud anyway, because it sounds like they won't warranty my second compressor unless I do. Just thought someone here might know what else would be causing the extreme head pressure. Everything else is bone stock and in good shape. This compressor worked for about a week before it started making a horrible knocking noise on occasion and spraying oil all over my motor.
The strange thing is it still seemed to work fine when it wasn't making ungodly noises :rolleyes:

• Sponsors (?)

I was a Ford A/C tech for a few years and they are right,over heating will be the main cause of high then normal pressures.It could also be over charged,but thats a very slim chance on their part.Usually when it reaches high pressure like that it eather blows the freon out or damage occurs.