You guys with modified cars

Stever89

5 Year Member
Dec 14, 2009
Biloxi, MS
Are you keeping a list of changes made for future reference, for yourself or a future owner? As mods are made, ie brakes, are you keeping track of what pads it now requires? Alternator? Shocks? Fuel pump, filter? Gear oil? Plugs?

• Sponsors (?)

I keep it all in my head, Alzheimers has not kicked in for me yet :D

Whats funny about me is i couldnt tell you what i had for breakfast yesterday, but i could rattle off every detail of my car, for myself, because it will never have a future owner.

Whats funny about me is i couldnt tell you what i had for breakfast yesterday, but i could rattle off every detail of my car, for myself, because it will never have a future owner.

Me too, so far, but as more changes are made and I get older, I've thought about putting it in print, maybe in spreadsheet form, you know, stock part # vs. current part# and so on. The more I think about it, the more I realize my car isn't close to stock anymore, the serpentine belt is another.

Haha, spot on, spot on.

I keep information that I know I'll end up forgetting, like torque specs for specific bolts and what-not. I will say that I saved ALL the paperwork for my recent engine build and I have it all in a binder.

I keep a spreadsheet with every maintenance, diagnostic, improvement or repair job I do, going back to about 2002.

I've started one, listing stock part #, replacemnent #, brand, etc, trying to fill in what cells I can from memory. Already got a good list going and thought of more stuff: U joints for the alum. d/s and vert motor mounts.

I have a notepad document on my computer. It's my maintenance log, modification list, parts on order, parts waiting to be put on, future mods, etc. I'm also going to start printing off all my invoices for past parts ordered and keep them in a binder. I don't think I will ever sell, but I would like to keep track of everything.

I did sell my car and it had two phone books size piles of paperwork that went along with it.

I do know the car had 4-6 exhaust systems on it, 3 intakes, 3 types of heads, crazy stuff. If I kept track of it all I'd been in big trouble, maybe even divorced.

When I do it again, I'll keep digital track, I think they got an APP for that.

I used to but at some point I completely went off the rails and there was no catching up. I have a thick file with receipts but I'm certain there are a few missing from over the years.

For my daily driver I do. I keep an excel shell listing any item that costs $$ that goes into a car, along woth a receipt numbered to the entry.

With my Mustang...all in my head. :)

the next owner will either be my kid or a scrap yard. If it is a scrap yard then ill strip all the good stuff out of her before she heads off.

For some reason I seem to remember all of the modifications I've made to mine.

I will not even attempt to document the modifications however, as that'll be the one piece of paper my wife will find.

After that, the next piece of paper I'll have to deal with will be a Divorce Decree. :nonono:

For my build, I kept a list of everything I put on the car and the prices for parts and labor. It needs to be updated, but includes almost everything. For maintenance, specs, repair work, it's hit or miss. I feel pretty confident in my ability to remember the details I need or to find the details again that I've forgotten.

I've got a one inch thick folder of receipts and "how to" articles I've collected ever since I decided a few years ago to "keep it" and build it up (mostly 5 lug parts, Cobra brakes, front and rear suspension parts). I also have another big folder of receipts and info I've been collecting ever since I've owned the car (about 17 years now). Plus I keep a book in the glove box with mileage, dates and detailed info on regular maintenance and whats been done to the car. I haven't really started on the interior, paint or engine yet (except for bolt ons). I don't think I want to add it all up and come up with a grand total, but cars are a money pit anyway, no matter what you drive.