Zex Nitrous

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by mustang351, Jul 26, 2004.

1. mustang351

mustang351 New Member

I am fixing to order my Zex Nitrous tommorrow and my question is will a 125hp be too much on a 150,000 mile motor I will be using it every weekend.

OH and has anyone run a 125 shot on a stock car and if so what are the ETs
  2. forrealb50

forrealb50 New Member

What convinced me in buying the zex kit was an article in a Mustang magazine where they put the zex kit on a 5.0 with like 125,000 miles and it ran strong. So, it was good enough for that car.

When my car only had a cold air intake and exhaust I ran high 12's with the 125 shot. I also had to upgrade the fuel pump to a 255lph...
  3. mattkimsey

mattkimsey I've compiled a list to recap this thread:

Why not just spray the 75 shot? In the article mentioned above the 125 shot only made 20 hp more than the 125 shot.
  4. 04sleeper

04sleeper Founding Member

Albums:
    I was there when they shot that ZEX install on Michael Johnsons coupe in 5.0 Magazine a while back. I also saw the dyno runs and when they put the 125 shot on it popped the head gasket. Then they were there until 10:30 at night trying to put it back together so he could drive home.
  5. mattkimsey

mattkimsey I've compiled a list to recap this thread:

I think your talkin about another car than he is, the car in the mmff tech guide is Chris Winters GT but the car you mentioned is a good example of what could happen....If I had 1 car with 120k+ miles I don't think I could trust a 125shot except maybe a couple times at the track :D
  6. 04sleeper

04sleeper Founding Member

Albums:
    Oh ok. That is the one that came to my mind. I think it was the first article on the ZEX kit. I wouldn't trust it for long either.
  7. shorty1993

shorty1993 New Member

get a compression check to help determine the stability of your engine, that should give a idea of the wear. i would say 100 shot, to be safer and be prepared to build in the near future. nitrous every weekend will get rough.
  8. drgn5.0

drgn5.0 Founding Member

125 is nothing, go for 150.
  9. shallto

shallto Founding Member

I run 125 shot on my 150k motor. Of course me heads are o ringed which might help.
  10. Michael Yount

Michael Yount Advanced Member

I'm with Shorty - check out the integrity of the motor before you put the juice to it. Cranking compression numbers and a leak down test on any low cylinders. Does the car burn oil? If so how much (qts./miles)? If you're burning a quart every 1000-1500 miles (or worse), spraying it is only gonna speed up it's demise. Running compression numbers is a small investment to make to give you some idea that nothing untoward is gonna happen when you spray it. Note the increase in fuel pump size - the stock pump won't keep up with the fuel needs when you spray it. And if you run it lean under spray - well, it won't matter what kind of shape the engine was in - you'll hurt something.
  11. shorty1993

shorty1993 New Member

this is man to listen to, i would say that i and many other people take micheals advice to heart. just something to think about.
  12. mustang351

mustang351 New Member

I am sorry I have took so long to reply but I got my nitrous about 3 days ago. I have mounted the bottle in the hatch so far. But anyway I plan on just using the 75hp jet for now but no the engine does not burn any oil, I havent done a compression check yet but the car runs strong. We are going to hook all the lines and everything up today and then take it for a test drive. I will let all you know how it goes, If you dont here by me tonight then I am probably walking from blowing my engine to pieces:)
  13. 94TURBO5 O

94TURBO5 O New Member

I ran 100 dry shot on a stock motor from 129k to 149K until I added the blower. Never lost a gasket (stock) until the blower went on after about 8K miles on it. You can go the www.jrfuller.com to see my runs with it at 136K on the motor.