Painting Your Interior

Share this Post:

Choosing Your Products
{mosgoogle}There are two types of paint you will be using depending on which types of surfaces you want paint. Vinyl paint works best when used on soft plastic surfaces. Lacquer paint works best when used on hard plastic surfaces.  If you plan to paint your interior panels, then use a non-glossy or mat finish (do not use a glossy finish) in order to match the existing finish of the existing interior panels.  The following companies make some of the best interior paints and dyes available today:

  • LSR Vinyl Dye and Vinyl Lacquer
  • LSR Gray Primer/Sealer – filling minor abrasions/promoting adhesion on hard plastic
  • Krylon Lacquer Spray – for hard vinyl
  • Dupli-Color makes a wide range of colors and paint effects for the following:
           Vinyl and Fabric dyes 
           Adhesion Promoters 
           Clear Coats
  • As there are so many choices as to how to paint or finish your interior trim pieces, decide how you want the completed product to look.  Some choose to leave the textured finish, and some like the completely glassy smooth finish on these parts.  Once you decide which parts and colors you would like, head on off to your favorite auto parts and hardware stores for the following products:
  • 400-Grit or Finer Wet Sanding Paper (for smooth trim pieces)
  • #000 Steel Wool (for smooth trim pieces)
  • Isopropyl Alcohol
  • Painter’s Tape and News Paper
  • A Razor Blade or Sharp Knife (used for painting the trim ring of the shifter bezel)
  • A Good Grease-cutting Dish Soap (Dawn)
  • Scrub Brush
  • Appropriate Paint Products
Some tools you will need in order to remove the various interior panels and trim pieces:

  • Flat Tip Screw Driver
  • Philips Screw Driver
  • Small Socket Set With Long Extension Shafts
  • 3/8" Torx Bit (T-43) for the seat belt removal (convertibles)
  • Needle Nose Pliers
  • Stereo Removal "Keys" or Four Small Long Allen Wrenches
  • A Rag – for prying up on plastic pieces needing removal with a screwdriver
  • A Kitchen Fork or Door Panel Removal Tool
Categories: Mustang Tech

Comments are closed.