Just to recap, here's the mess I had to make of the inner fender apron to get the turbo to fit:
So, the solution was to box in as much as I possibly could to make everything look better and a little less butchered. Took a lot of paper templates and metal trimming to get it done.
Used a cordless jig saw to cut a 5" hole for the compressor inlet
Cut pieces for the boxed out area around the drain fitting:
Cut more and more pieces to box the rest of the frame rail in:
I still need to weld in that missing piece and I also want to weld in some radiused pieces around the outlet to eliminate the round peg in a square hold look. Everything fits pretty well though if you ask me!
Welded a few more pieces in around the turbo discharge. Gives it more of a finished look as opposed to just a square hole.
Also fabricated the lower radiator mount. This will get drilled and tapped for 2 mounting holes. I'll bolt the bottom radiator mounting flange to it. Rubber isolators will be used to dampen vibrations. I'll weld this to the frame once the engine is out.
I checked clearances between the air filter, coldside piping and fender. All is well. It's tight, but it will fit.
Obviously, I can't have pieces of cardboard filling up the space in the hole for the discharge tube, so I cut some pieces and welded them in to tighten up the opening.
Finally, everything is all tacked together and ready to be fully welded:
Engine is now out along with the trans, k-member, and IRS subframe. It's back to a shell...once again. I forgot that I had the cherry picker at the 1 ton mark instead of extended out to the 1/2 ton mark, so I was barely able to lift the engine high enough so the oil pan would clear the inner fender. I wouldn't have been pleased if I had to lower the engine back down again to adjust the hoist.
I did manage to fab up some brackets to mount my Taurus fan to my radiator. Took me longer than expected, but I move slow. I would be a terrible shop employee.
Here are the parts I got back from the powder coater. The harsh light does the coating no justice. This stuff sparkles and shines like crazy in the sun.
Also a picture of the DEI plug wire sleeves. Not only are they functional, but they look nice too. They were a pain to get over the 10mm Taylor wires though. They're each essentially one long Chinese finger trap. I even called DEI for some advice to speed the process, but they had nothing constructive to offer.
Here is the engine with a few more accessories added
The only issue that I found with the pipes from Jet-Hot was a dent in the end of my downpipe. It's easy enough to bend it back into position though. You can see it in this picture
The rest of the pipes came out nice too
Call me ignorant, but I did not know Jet-Hot coated the inside of the pipes as part of their standard service. I though it was an "option" that you had to ask for. I didn't plan on coating the inside of mine, but every single pipe I got back was coated inside and out. I'm not complaining, I just didn't expect it. That definitely justifies the cost of getting the pipes coated. They really did do a nice job on them.