Horse Sense -  66 Coupe to Fastback Conversion

Horse Sense - 66 Coupe to Fastback Conversion

the pass. side is done .i did it the same as the driver side . i had to cut this side a little longer ,it had a dent . it didn't line up quite as easy as the other side but not bad at all . the door post is welded in place .now i can start on the rest of the door frame.

i spot welded the rear door posts together and welded on the driver side to the rocker .i used my good old Harbor Freight spot welder,what a time saver .no welds to grind ,welds as fast as you can pull the trigger. only problem is there is a limit as to how far the tongs will reach with the tongs that come with it .it works great for tail panels ,radiator support and any where the is an edge to weld .you can get other tongs but that is the expensive part.

i started working on the red one today.there is a lot that has to be replaced first .the rear door posts are rotted through.both rockers are rotted in the rear half.
i don't like to patch pieces if i can help it but the rockers are hard to replace so i am going to do just the rear portion. i went just ahead of the rotted spot and cut off the back half at 24 inches. i then cut a new piece at 24 inches long. i drilled the new piece for plug welds and slipped pieces of rocker in side of it ,clamped it and filled in the plug welds. i then drilled the old rocker for plug welds and slid the new rocker in place . i made sure the points lined up and screwed the new piece to the old rocker. don't expect the new piece to match perfectly they are very slightly different ,but they matched up quite well after screwing them down. i then clamped the rocker to the inner rocker and welded the points first so they would not move. i then did the full weld ,removed the screws and welded in the plugs. it came out really nice ,no overlap of the outer surface and with the pieces inserted and plug welded they will be really strong and will take very little to make perfect.i will do the other side the same way.

the floor supports and torque boxes are in. the torque boxes did not fit they were welded together crooked,wish i had bought the non-welded ones . i had to take them apart and re weld them. they fit good now . it is on the ground now .i still have some welding under side but i will finish that on the rotisserie. i still need the battery apron and radiator support before it goes up on the rotisserie. i will order a new driver door and both front fenders. looks like its time to start on the red one.

i got the inner structure finished just need to tie the door post to the roof brace on both sides. i still have to make the drip trays under the quarter vents and fill the quarter window holes in the rear door posts. i set this one up for Shelby quarter windows but i need the drip trays because that is what the interior fiberglass attaches to. i got both torque boxes but not the floor supports and they have to go in first.supposed to get them tomorrow.soon as the torque boxes are in it is going up on the rotisserie to finish the rear wheel lips and sand blast the under side and prime.