×Engine knock that sounds like it's underneath car behind drivers side tire

Timothyeg

Aug 23, 2020
Sayre pa
Hi guys i have posted a couple threads on here with some good feedback.my 02 mustang is a beautiful car with only 74,000 miles on it The paint is excellent and it has air brushed black flames on both doors.Anyway I do have a little bit of lifter noise ,very minimal and engine runs great! Until now.I seem to have a knocking noise that sounds like it is coming from underneath the car and behind the drivers side tire. It's not just a little lifter sound but almost sounds like a knocking sound that accompanies the lifter sound now.If I am in neutral and parked and open the door,then push the gas down I can hear knocking coming from what appears to be underneath the car behind the drivers side tire.Bottom of motor I think.Almost sounds like a diesel engine underneath there? If I push the gas down it seems to knock faster the higher the rpms are.Almost sounds like I got bad gas with it knocking.I did just get gas 10 minutes before it started knocking underneath.Maybe it is a coincidence? I just picked my car up from my mechanic today and had a McLeod street pro clutch and flywheel with bbk clutch cable installed.I am getting noises from clutch already soon as I left the shop.i am hearing a fast clicking sound liKe a dead car battery makes coming up through the dash which is something with clutch or cable?My mechanics son always wants to race me with his boosted honda everytime I go in there.I am wondering if he screwed up my engjne because when his dad put the clutch in he let his son test drive it.Mg stomach sank when I heard he drove it.He probably beat the piss out of it because It absolutely did not have this knocking sound
Before I took it there! A little bit of lifter noise yes but it was actually pretty darn quiet.My mechanic said it's one of the best 4.6 2 Valves he ever listed to and it sounded great to him.He also said car has no bottom end noise whatsoever.This was a week ago.This car is like my child so I need to know what I got to do to her so I don't have to pull the plug so to speak! Thanks a lot from one dedicated mustang fan to another.

Attachments

• 20200909_191728.jpg
    20200909_191728.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 20200909_191301.jpg
    20200909_191301.jpg
    761.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 20200827_131750.jpg
    20200827_131750.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Sponsors (?)

If he's honest and said how quiet it was a week ago and now after his son drove it its not so quiet, take it back and ask about it and see what he says.
What I am describing does this sound like a certain issue to you?sound is coming from bottom I believe. When you push the gas down if am sitting in car in my drive way parked , I can open the door and hear the knocking.The knock UK ng gets faster when you push the gas down and I can barely hear it or not hear it at all if the gas isn't pushed down.I know mg waterpump has a knock to it but that wouldn't get faster with putt iij ng the gas down would it.It does sound like things bouncing around inside the bottom of the motor by the drivers side tire.It sounds like a diesel sound coming from the bottom of the motor.Any ideas?

yes sounds like the beginning of a rod knock. At this point it can be fixed cheaply parts wise by just replacing the bearings, but not labor wise. I have a video of my car making just such a sound and $40 worth of Jegs bearings and some gaskets fixed it. Post up a video of the sound.

yes sounds like the beginning of a rod knock. At this point it can be fixed cheaply parts wise by just replacing the bearings, but not labor wise. I have a video of my car making just such a sound and $40 worth of Jegs bearings and some gaskets fixed it. Post up a video of the sound.
For some reason it won't let me put up a video.It says it can't support it.It sort of sounded like a diesel from underneath the car.Piston slap I didn't know.If j can post a video I will.I do think I know what it may be.I just had a brand new.mcleod street pro clutch installed yesterday with flywheel and bbk clutch cable.When the clutch is out and parked in neutral give it gas and it knocks from I think underneath.The more gas I give it the faster it knocks from what sounds like jnderneath.When iij push the clutch in and give it gas the knocking seems to go away.Let clutch out with giving it gas and knock comes back.I think it is the clutch spring rattling sounding like a knock.I do have clutch shudder in first and reverse pretty bad though.I hear this is normal until your break in period ends.

Sound does seem to go away and come back when clutch is out .I have to push the gas down when clutch is out to here the what appears to be knocking.If I don't push the gas down you really can't hear it.If I push gas down with clutch iij n yo uh can't hear it.I was worried af first. Didn't want to do any engine work.

Seems like you are going to be fine. Glad to hear because a knock down below is a knock to your cash flow. My Mcleod clutch made all kinds of noise for the first hour of use. I thought I screwed it all up really made some strange sounds. It also chattered for two years in first , and reverse. Good luck brother.

So does my clutch seem normal?It shudders backing up in reverse and then in first pulling away.It also seems like I am popping the clutch in third but I am not popping it.It just seems to pop like I am trying to pop it.Only does it in third.I could swear that it seems almost like a slip sometimes but the rpms don't seem to jump with me accelerating like a slipping clutch does.The rpms go up but you really aren't moving.It is a couple days old.if this sounds like an issue and it has to go back could someone let me know.Thank you!

My stock clutch did not do this.No shuddering and it didn't slip when I changed it.I had a bad throw out bearing and pilot bearing is why I changed it along with a bbk clutch cable.I want to supercharge it but it would be a shame to put it in and blow the motor and have to start over a gdx ter putting a ton of money into it which I have.

Attachments

• 20200909_191814.jpg
    20200909_191814.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 20200909_191728.jpg
    20200909_191728.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 20200901_164246.jpg
    20200901_164246.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 142