'01 cobra forged internals shopping

crew_dawg16

Apr 25, 2004
DeKalb, IL
Where do guys get their forged internals when they build their '01 cobras for supercharging? There should be a lot of this going on right now with kenne bell coming out with a kit and all. Any recommended companies to buy from? Also, will the stock forged crank handle enough abuse, or should it be replaced also? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Kenne Bell Kit for '01 ??? :D

Last I knew, it's only been a prototype and they put the project on the back burner some time ago when they created their '03-'04 S/C.

I better go check up on thier site ...

edit:

I went to the KB site and nothing has changed ...

Quote from KenneBelle Site on 99-01 4V Cobra Supercharger:

I feel we owe everyone an explanation as to why we've delayed the '99-'01 Cobra 4V kit. We had every intention of doing the kit in '99, but we couldn't make it fit under the stock hood. Ford had changed the intake manifold which presented a much more serious problem for us than the centrifugals which merely blow into a fixed position throttle body. We mount the supercharger on top of the engine and replace the intake, so hood clearance is always a problem. Then, Ford had the HP problem and rumor was the heads and intake might again be changed. So, we waited - and the kit was delayed. Then Ford cancelled Cobra production and again a delay. It was always our goal - and it still is - to do the '99-'01 engines with one kit - and only one kit. In the meantime, Ford introduced the supercharged Cobra and we had already began working on the Lightning, the 4.6 '96-'03 2V, 4.6 Explorer, Focus and '03 Expedition. That's a lot of Ford commitment and all had more potential sales to us than the '99-'01 Cobra. That is to say nothing of the non-Ford kits we're working on - the Mazda Miata, Jeep 4.0, PT Cruiser, GM 8.1, 6.0, 5.3 and 4.8 and Dodge Hemi. The reason I mention these non-Ford kits is to illustrate it is not a "do we do the '99 Cobra or not" decision. We very much want to do the '99 Cobra, but it is not our only priority. And yes, it has unfortunately been put off again. Our easiest solution is to do the kit with a fiberglass pinned hood. This kit is already designed but our designers have experienced far too many problems with '94 up hoods that aren't hood pinned. I can only apologize for the ongoing delays. And I can hardly blame '99-'01 owners for being upset and frustrated at our delays.

Is there an Update not shown yet on thier site that anyone elses knows about ???

-DC

:D I've got 2 places you could check with. One is Sean Hyland Motorsports (seanhylandmotorsports.com), they did my engine with all forged internals and I'm running Manley 10.5 flattop pistons ( have to run 100 pump racing fuel, but it's not a daily driver so what). The other place is where my SHM rep went to work, it's called VT Engines. His name is Scott Cushman and he's a wealth of knowledge with the 4.6 modular motor. I can get you his phone number if you want it. BTW, the stock forged crankshaft is an excellent unit, no need to change that.