'01 Cobra IRS swap with '99 GT solid rear..?

ok mustang crew, my buddy(stangman16) has a 99 GT, and we were talkin the other day. somehow we got on the subject of switching out our rearends..... anyways he likes the IRS (his car is stock and he doesn't plan on modding it any further than this), i think IRS sucks. i drove a GT for a while, and i just like the solid rear better. its better for burn outs and i dont notice any MAJOR difference in the handling. so we were wondering how hard is this operation?? will we need any extra parts?? even better, does anybody know of site with detailed instructions?? thanks for any help... :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

four.six said:
i think IRS sucks. i drove a GT for a while, and i just like the solid rear better. its better for burn outs and i dont notice any MAJOR difference in the handling.
Let me get this strait....you think your car with a solid rear axle is going to handle better? Try pushing both of them hard into the corners and you'll see that IRS shine by comparison. Superior ride quality and handling were the main reasons the IRS was used with the Cobra in the first place.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Let me get this strait....you think your car with a solid rear axle is going to handle better? Try pushing both of them hard into the corners and you'll see that IRS shine by comparison. Superior ride quality and handling were the main reasons the IRS was used with the Cobra in the first place.

superior ride quality and handling? I wouldn't say that. the stock setup (bushings) are for the roads, but it still don't shine stock.

The IRS allows the rear wheels to remain flat while cornering, not running up on the edges like they do when pushing a solid axle hard through the twisties. This increases the tires contact patch with the pavement, thus improving over all handling.

As for ride quality, maybe not in general, but try taking an IRS equipped car over stutter bumps, pot holes and other uneven roads and tell me that they don't ride head over heels better.

I'm speaking from experience in both instances.

tomustang said:
oh i don't doubt you stock for stock. I wouldn't compare both but the way they let the IRS off the assembly line that could've done alot better.
Yeah, a lot of the guys with the IRS rear ends are adding harder durometer bushings and stiffer spring rates when they really decide to push them. The ’03-‘04’ IRS rears are a little stiffer, but still aren’t exactly road race worthy. Good enough for the street though.

the one thing people forget abou is the weight distro. you'll throw it off badly removing the IRS and throwing in a solid.

as for me, i'm sticking with the solid, if i buy another mustang it'll get the IRS for sure.