01 engine turns but does not fire! help??

p.exeter_bleu

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2002
El Paso,TX
just like headline says, ive already try to see if there was spark coming from the plug wires didnt see anything(screwdriver test) fuel pump does prime, all fuses are ok, coil pack was swapped with a working 01' mustangs(my sisters) still same results where do i go from here? it wont even start with a jump. background info car has been sitting for about 9 months, at that time it had a fairly new battery( battery has been connected this whole time) i got a 350z in december of 07 so this car has been my back up for a while but i had stopped driving it for a good while and now i need to get it running in order to give to my cousin. any help is appreciated. thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

You may have bad gas in the tank,since it has been sitting so long.Have you ever started the car up every once in a while while it had been sitting? Moved it? Did you add fuel stabilizer to the gas before you stopped driving it? Are you sure the coil pack isn't emitting spark? Or did I just read that wrong (It does spark)?

You say pump does prime.Are you certain there is gas in the tank?

Here is a test you can perform to see if it is a fuel problem.Disconnect the large rubber air intake hose connected to the throttle body.Press the throttle plate all the way open and spray carb/throttle body cleaner or non-chlorinated brake cleaner (non-chlorinated like Brakleen or 3M Brake Cleaner as both are flammable and work good as a carb cleaner without harming O2 sensors).Now,immediately after spraying cleaner in,attempt to start the engine.If it starts up or attempts to start up then stalls,you most likely have badly degraded gas in the tank.And you may also have injectors fouled with degraded fuel.If nothing is added to the fuel and it is left to sit for months on end without adding any additional fuel,the gas can turn into bad kerosene,which is unflammable and clogs pumps,injectors and spark plugs.