01 GT to 03 Terminator Swap

dykzeul

Jun 7, 2017
Just picked up a 01 Mustang GT with a complete Cobra swap from an 03. Car has some quirks, Speedo and odo arnt functioning, shift light constantly flashes, boost gauge on dash doesn't work but aftermarket pillar gauge does. With this being a car that was swapped prior to me, does anyone have any ideas of where to start looking to get these issues resolved?

Attachments

• 48382085_10155729179397657_4516832052242284544_n.jpg
    48382085_10155729179397657_4516832052242284544_n.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Sponsors (?)

If you are really serious about solving these problems there are two things that will prove vital.
  • An ODB2 scanner. One with graphing is even better.
  • A full set of Ford wiring diagrams.
Here's why an ODB2 scanner is so important. In the 1999+ model year the transmission OSS speed sensor output signal goes directly to the PCM. The PCM then "tells" the cluster what speed to display via an electronic SCP LAN message. So the first step to trouble shoot a speedometer problem is to know "does the PCM know the car's speed?". For that an ODB2 scanner is needed. The next step depends upon the results of the first question.

If looking for an educated guess I would lean towards a problem in the transmission OSS speed sensor where the PCM is not getting a valid speed signal. This would also explain why the shift light is acting strange. Obviously if the PCM doesn't know the car's speed then the PCM can't tell the cluster what to display.

Here's some information on an affordable Windows based unit.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/forscan-odb2-scanner-w-elm327-usb.57/

The next thing is a full set of Ford wiring diagrams for the 2001 model year and the 2003 model year. The first thing to find out is "how" does the dash boost gauge work? Does it use a separate wire or is it done via SCP message? If done via SCP message, then does the PCM "know" what the boost is.

If interested in getting a full set of Ford service manuals and wiring diagrams on data DVD I may be able to help. PM if interested.

Last edited:
I purchased that exact unit for FORSCAN on my 18 F-150 (I didnt think about it even being compatible) . Purchasing a project like this may have been slightly out of my realm, but one would think - since it has all termi parts, the wiring harness, ect is all termi as well. Im going to pull part numbers off of every harness and replace anything that has been spliced and start over and do it right. I will be sending you a message shortly!

We drove the car all day yesterday doing some Christmas shopping and its running great. This was my teenage dream car..well...err the real thing anyways but this is what the dollar....wife allowed..

Last edited: