01 LATE MODEL GT ROMEO BLOCK XE270AH COMP CAM

Apr 13, 2018
Panama City, FL
I have wanted these cams for a while , i recently talked to Comp Cams and they said that Ford out sourced 3 different piston company's. So 3 different pistons are in the 96-04, So its a crap shoot knowing if these cams will work! ! .I have heard of people having P.T.V problems, and some not .Yet every time i call or contact A.M they say they will work on a stock motor, with retainers and upgraded springs. I have also researched some say install both cams on 109* intake center line and it will work and some said you degree the cam and it will work. Others say that this cam wont work without noticed pistons, A.M wont take them back if they don't work i'm out of the money for cams and install. ..Anyone have any ideas? i'm running a 01 gt with romeo block.

• Sponsors (?)

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
Houston Texas
It seems to me that IF a well known reparable vendor says they will work why don't you believe them?

Regarding installing using a degree wheel it always better to install using a degree wheel.

I'm sure that many of the people that did have problems either:
  • made an error during install
  • installed a PI head onto a non-PI bottom end.

Apr 13, 2018
Panama City, FL
It seems to me that IF a well known reparable vendor says they will work why don't you believe them?

Regarding installing using a degree wheel it always better to install using a degree wheel.

I'm sure that many of the people that did have problems either:
  • made an error during install
  • installed a PI head onto a non-PI bottom end.
Yeah its a tough call ..when i told A.M that Comp said they are 50/50 on weather it will work they said dont install them..lol ..Ive read where a lot of people are having PTV problems ..and others say no problems with no degree and some say degree. And some say they dont work at all on so confused ..Plus the reparable company says if they dont work they wont take them back..uhhgg..Comp says that ford subcontracted 3 pitons and all have different tolerances ..they said its a crap shoot to weather they will have PTV isssues

Neuron

Mustang Master
Nov 6, 2016
In the old days you couldn't leave anything to chance so we used the clay method to make sure, too much money and time to risk. If the heads had been shaved there was thicker head gaskets available as an option to piston switch(yes it would lower CR but it is all about choices). There are other methods nowadays too you can check them out online.

mogs01gt

Founding Member
Jul 22, 2002
Ohio
?Have you tried those cams? why do you say you wouldn't even chance it?
I've never heard of anyone installing the 270s on a stock engine without degree'ing it. Plus your 01 model should have the higher compression pistons(less dish).
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-...lve-comp-cams-on-stock-pi-motor-with-nitrous/
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/586555-comp-xe270ah-cams.html
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/comp-cams-xe270ah.734198/

Apr 8, 2017
Just because a valve clears when you turn the motor over by hand doesn't mean it will clear at higher rpm running. Valves, retainers and keepers have mass. Valve guides wear and stick. Valve float happens. Even a slight touch will have you pulling a head.

Dark04GT

10 Year Member
Apr 27, 2008
NC
The overall answer is that the PTV distance is close. It comes down to your acceptance of risk- The 270’s sound great and have good gains. I had the hitech stage 2’s prior to my blower and ran them for 3 years with no issues..... I also was saving money for a new engine just in case.

If you want to play it a little more safe - the 262’s are a great option with better drivability and good gains.

When you total up the gains and risk from cams (if I were to do it again) I would skip the NA cams and go for blower/turbo cams if that is down the road. Better yet - I wish I would of bought my blower first instead of the $1200+ I spent on NA cams when all was said and done.

lwright

Dec 18, 2017
Oklahoma
I have a 2003 mustang gt with:

2001 5.4L 2v Ford Expedition engine
2001 5.4L 2v Ford Expedition intake manifold
5 speed manual transmission
3.08 pinion gears
27.6” wheels (19" rims)
SCT x4 Tuner

As you may well expect it has A LOT of low end torque, it’s hard to keep the wheels from spinning. My questions are:

Which Comp Cams would be best for my setup?
Which Comp Cams would give it the mid to high end torque I want?
How will it affect the power band?

I THANK YOU in advance for any replies!