'01 vs. '03 Cobra

admdavs

Feb 25, 2004
Chicago
I am about a year away from making my new Mustang purchase. I am surely getting a Cobra, I just need advice about the following- Should I purchase an '01 Cobra, which I can get around $20K with only 15K miles, or wait out the lowering price on the '03 Cobra with the new '05 coming this Fall. I don't want to spend more than $25K, do you think the '03 with lower miles will be around this price in March 2005???? Also, what are the pros and cons of owning the '03 versus the '01??

• Sponsors (?)

Right now you could pretty much get a left over 03, brand new with zero miles from the dealer for under 28K. I went last week and I could of had an 04 Coupe for $29K or a left over 03 for $27K. These are offers they made me, if I go back and wheel and deal them I could probably get them for less.

03 problems you hear about :shrug:

What about the 99 and 01 Cobra problems you hear about :shrug: :banana:
Just kidding. You always get to hear about all the negative things because that's what people post and yell about the most it seems.

All cars have issues to some extent. I would take an 03 in a heartbeat if I hadn't already put all this money into my 99.

Now is the time to deal on a left over 03 or 04. I was going to buy a red 04 Cobra vert, but we need a new family car, VW passat wagon. I have to wait now, but hopefully by the end of summer I will be able to get an 04 Cobra. I plan to do this without getting rid of the current Cobra I own. We'll see what happens.

How long to wait???

Yeah, problems are what I am going to read about. I completely agree that the '03 is the way to go. My new question is, do you think I should wait out the arrival of the '05 in September/October to drive the current model prices down- or just wait for the arrival of the '06 Cobra next year to really drive the prices down???? I am fighting the nerve to go and buy one right now- hardest thing I've ever had to do- this waiting game!

I'm not sure I'd wait if your mind is set for a 01 or a 03. The incentives are pretty good on remaining 03s (assuming you have good credit) and apparently some dealers will deal. Between the two, if I were in your position, I'd go with the 03...however, in my particular position, I have no plans to trade my 01. It has plenty of power for my needs and while I don't drive it everyday, its always fun to drive.

As the 03 prices fall, so will the 01's. You should be able to pick up an 01 with low miles in the high teens. Depends what you want. The 01 is a better daily driver with its lighter clutch and makes good power. The 03 is a beast with easy ability to mod.

Good question adm, I've been kicking around this same question since I'm gonna be picking up another cobra in the fall. Basically for me I'll be able to afford either but I'm really sick of making payments on anything so the sooner I get something paid off the better. On the other hand I do think the 03 is the way to go since it really is a better platform to start with if you want a blower and all. Like someone said earlier, if the prices keep going down then I may just bite the bullet for a little bigger payment to get what I would really rather have. Not knocking the 99/01's at all but if I got one of those I'd just throw a s/c on it at some point anyway :D

As far as the problems with each, that's why I don't like to get first year of anything when it first comes out. What a year or so so that they can find and figure out solutions for problems that arise. There is a reflash for the 03 stalling issue and there's a fix for the tick some have if I'm not mistaken. As far as the 05 stangs, how many problems (major or minor) do you think they are gonna have with them? It's a complete redesign of everything pretty much. I just had my wifes 03 lemoned which was a complete redesign because of numerous things wrong with it. There's only so much they can find in their testing so there will be issues, just might have to wait a little bit till they find a solution. Again I'm not bashing any year just stating what typically happens on new models.

I've been reading alot about the '03 stalling out with the clutch in, or stalling out when cruising. Is this a common probelm with the '03? And is it a fix that is easy (i.e. Turn the traction control off unless its raining)???? Also, this question will expose my ignorance to driving stick and not being mechanically inclined- :rlaugh: - when I'm stuck in city traffic- or driving on back roads- what is the highest I should run the RPM's before shifting to the next gear??? I've been told a variety of responses from people who also don't really know- any advice? :shrug:

um, shift whenever dude, I mean I wouldn't if stuck in city traffic and didn't feel like shifting run the car at 7k rpm for a long time but really it's not gonna matter that much.

The stalling from what I've read is fixed by taking the car to the dealership for them to reflash the computer with an updated program. I haven't had a chance to read up on if that is a definetive solution or not.