02 5.4 Lightning in 65 Fastback?

I have come across a 02 5.4 cheap. I know it will not fit with the stock shock towers, but can I just trim them or will I have to install something like a mustangII to make it work? Also will it bolt up to my T5 or is there some kind of adapter plate? :shrug:Sorry if this is question has already be asked but I tried to do a search and came up with nothing.

• Sponsors (?)

I thought about it long and hard in mine. Search in here, and you will see how big it really is. The guy turboed it, but you can see even with the towers gone, it's a very tight fit. And the 5.4 is larger. Sure you can find a bell to fit that. But it's going to die just by looking at that 5.4. Quicktime probably makes a bell that would work.

Anything's possible, but you are talking about MAJOR surgery to get that motor in a 65. You will have to cut the car up quite a bit plus spend quite a few dollars. You say you got the motor cheap so you want to use it. Well, the motor is the least expensive part. Were you going to set it up EFI or convert to carbed? How about the ignition? I don't know much about the newer 5.4 but I'm just trying to give you the idea that there are a lot of details.

I knew that the 5.4 was big but I was hoping to get away with just trimming on the towers. I was going to run EFI because the motor came with everthing from intercooler to the fuel pump, but I don't really want to do Major Surgery because the car is very solid. Maybe I will just set it aside till I find the next project. Thanks for the help.

its not that bad....the DOHC 5.4 from the navigator is 585 lbs...still less than a big block, but 100lbs more than an iron head small block...not sure what the lightning engine weighs, but I wouldnt guess more than 620 at most....heavy....and of course will require the mustang II front end, just like the 4.6....and probably a cowl hood or huge scoop