02 Mustang Alternator Issues

Redbuffalo95

Active User
Feb 21, 2017
Alright I have a 02 mustang GT and it's on its 4th alternator that I've put in it in the past month, I don't know if it's an electrical issue or what's going on. The only help I have with this is when I took it to O'Reilly's all 4 had a faulty voltage regulator. I need assistance with this though because this is my daily driver and without it I have no way back and forth to work.

• Sponsors (?)

Alright I have a 02 mustang GT and it's on its 4th alternator that I've put in it in the past month, I don't know if it's an electrical issue or what's going on. The only help I have with this is when I took it to O'Reilly's all 4 had a faulty voltage regulator. I need assistance with this though because this is my daily driver and without it I have no way back and forth to work.
Lets move this to the tech forums and the people there can give you some ideas to help you resolve this.
And welcome to stangnet.

Have you checked all the grounds and that you have 12v (14.4 ish actually) coming out of the post when it's charging.

Or you're just getting crap alternators (not as likely). Do you have the power wire hooked up to the power dist box under the hook? I ask because back in the day some idiot grounded out my power wire thinking it was a ground (It is black) and it fried my alt. That dummy was me and I was in a hurry lol. Oops. Expensive lesson learned.

Yea everything is hooked up correctly and to answer the first question no I'm not getting full voltage the alternator isnt pumping out any juice to the battery at all that's what's stumped me, is that it's the same issue Everytime and there's no freaking way all 4 alternators were faulty it's such a low possibility.

Yea everything is hooked up correctly and to answer the first question no I'm not getting full voltage the alternator isnt pumping out any juice to the battery at all that's what's stumped me, is that it's the same issue Everytime and there's no freaking way all 4 alternators were faulty it's such a low possibility.

Check the harness for broken or bare wires. Something could be getting grounded out. Make sure the small connector (voltage reference) is making contact and isn't missing a pin out or something. (I forget what the hell its called but the grey two wire connector that's a pita to remove).

Reactions: 1 user
My suggestion is to double check the left hand motor mount ground to frame strap is in place. If the motor grounding strap isn't in place or providing a good ground path (remember that the alternator is grounded via the motor) then the voltage regular will not have a correct ground reference.

Double check that the battery terminals are clean and tight. Especially the battery negative. Double check the grounds around the radiator core support.

Measure the DC voltage with the motor running from the alternator case to the battery negative. Post. Should be low.

Last edited: