02 Mustang Gt Coolant Flush Problem!

ordainedkarma3

Sep 25, 2016
I bought a 2002 Mustang GT for my first car a couple of months ago and checked the coolant. Yupp, looked like iced tea! So I decided to to do a flush. First I drained it and took out the petcock for better flow and will replace after flush but not very much came out so I thought that I was just really low on coolant but then I started to put water in and it only took about 2 and 1/4 gallons of distilled water but from my knowledge my system takes about 3 1/2 gallons. I thought that it was strange but just repeated the process several times but yet still the same results. I drained the petcock and the engine block drain plug on the driver side but not enough came out. I even tried just raising the front with two jack stands and I leveled it out with all four. This leads me to believe either their is a drain plug behind the starter on the passenger side/ somewhere else or that I am doing something horribly wrong. Please help me!

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure what the actual capacity is. If you're draining and want to be sure to get the most out of it, I usually dumped the system through the lower radiator hose.There are no other draining plugs that I'm aware of. Just the freeze plugs in the block. You don't want to remove those. Maybe go to autozone and rent their cooling system pressurizing device. Put about 15 lbs of pressure on the system and make sure its holding. Other wise you may have a head gasket issue.