Roush 02 S281SC Mods- What do you all think?

Some of you may remember some of my earlier posts and that I had ordered a Series iV SC, well... I backed out of the purchase because of the rough time that Saleen was having filling all the group buy orders that were put in. Of cource the fact that they could not seem to get intake manifolds that didn't crack while being mounted to the SC also contributed to my backing out.

So I had two choices:

1) Buy a KB for $5800 Including labor for the install.

2) Stick with the Eaton and see what I can do with it and lower my goal of 400whp down to 365whp and be happy with that.

I went with option 2.

So here is what I have on order currently:

Chicane Sport Intercooler: $700.00 (Ordered)
Chicane 2.66mm Pulley: $96.00 (Ordered)
Lightnigforce Performance Dual Pass Heat Exchanger: $289.00 (Ordered)
Lighning Force Performance Intercooler Reservoir $179.00 (Ordered)
Accufab 75MM Throttle body $209.00 (Ordered)
Mosaleen Idler pulley $150.00 (Ordered)
Gator Back 112" belt $27.00 (Ordered)
Bosch 42 lb injectors $350 (Ordered)
90 mm Mass air 100 $75 (Ordered)
Long Tube Headers w/ Dr Gas X-pipe $300.00(Already have)Both ceramic coated
Diablo Revolution Chip (Alread Have)
Gtech Pro SS " Always wanted one of these"(Ordered)
Dyno Tune with 93 octane (after everything is installed)

For a total of $2,075 (Not including the Gtech Pro SS)

I currently have the stock air intake/filter on my car but am contemplating ordering the Chicane RIP kit as well but wanted everyones opinion on it first and also wanted to get everyones feedback on what I have ordered and whether or not I will reach 365whp with what I ordered.

Any feedback will be much appreciated, plus I just like discussing things and the sharing of opinions...let me know what you think:

- Rob

• Sponsors (?)

hp

i dont know if youll make you # with just that, id say a set of cams would get you there, and id also say with a set of heads and some nice blower cams you might be able to make high 300's like 390's or so

hp

as far as the cold air kit, id take to mark at performance auro sport, i know they had dyoned a few different cai's and i guess the chicane one lost power, but im not possitve, i guess jlt is comming out with a great kit for the series 2, no offence to joe at chicane he makes awsome stuff, but i dont like th idea of how the filter is exposed in his setup, its usually not good for the sc, and i know with the kb if you run an open filter is voids your waranty

Ok I will hold off on the air intake then and see how I do with the stock one and the K&N Filter.

I am hoping that by replacing the entire cooling set up for the SC, that I will be able to add more timing while upping the boost by like 5 PSI over stock. I was going on about 8whp per pound of boost and then factoring the headers... I would think that Blower cams would be over kill but have honestly considered it already...lol

kb

forgot to tell ya kb was the route i went, i got sick of spening money on the heaton, your right cooler temps would alow you to run more timing, with my kenne bell i run 18 deg of timing, and 21 with my race tune, the thing with the kb is it runs much cooler than an eaton will ever, also i dont know if youve looked into it, but you could hone or port your saleen intake i know that the saleen intake is very restrictive, also look into the series V discharge pipe upgrade, that would take care of your cold air intake needs also and would get you a larger pipe off that back of the sc, and it would be metal insted of the plastic series 2 one

anyways heres my setup

92124.jpg

92123.jpg

anways i you have anymore series 2 question feel free to ask i played about with mine for 3 years

C.Saleen said:
forgot to tell ya kb was the route i went, i got sick of spening money on the heaton, your right cooler temps would alow you to run more timing, with my kenne bell i run 18 deg of timing, and 21 with my race tune, the thing with the kb is it runs much cooler than an eaton will ever, also i dont know if youve looked into it, but you could hone or port your saleen intake i know that the saleen intake is very restrictive, also look into the series V discharge pipe upgrade, that would take care of your cold air intake needs also and would get you a larger pipe off that back of the sc, and it would be metal insted of the plastic series 2 one

anways i you have anymore series 2 question feel free to ask i played about with mine for 3 years

Just curious... I know that the eaton makes alot of heat but I am upgrading the HE, intercooler, and going to a coolant tank that holds a gallon of coolant...shouldn't that take care of allot of the heat that is generated by the Eaton? I would like to think that would help out tremendously....

I have searched a few forums and have not seen any other posts where someone has done everything that I am doing... some have been pretty close and actually did machining work as well but they did not replace the IC, HE, and coolant tank all together... so I will def post up my numbers as It will be nice to be able to contribute some good information to the forums like all of you all do..

I really don't want to spend the money on a KB, plus my local tuner does not like them because he says the quality is poor in comparison to the whipples. He has had to rebuild a few motors from where the KB twin screws actually hit and grenaded right down into the intake, into the motors and blew them up... and KB would not cover the cost of the motor rebuilds even though it happened as a direct result of the KB blower malfunctioning... they did not even want to warranty the blowers either.. if I remember correctly...

intercooler

yes you will be lowering the temps alot, but sping the blower at the speed youll be spining it at creates alolt of heat, with 11-12psi, your running that
m90 eaton blower at its top speed, so its doing alot of work to create that kind of boost, i believe the chicane pulley is the smallest for the m90, so you see the faster you spin the blower the more boost, but also by sping the blower that fast you create more heat, which in turn dosent alow you to run as much timing, as you know you dont want to create denation, but id say the chicane intercoler is an excelent piece, anything that will lower your tepms as much as that piece is an excelent addition

as far as kb blowing up motors, ive not heard of that, i have heard of people running too much boost with the stock internals and then inturn blowing there motor up, with the kb the boost levels can be increased so early people often get greedy and up the boost and inturn the motor goes boom, most say the stock gt engine enternals can only hold 450rwhp, to tell you the truth ive seen many blow up around 420rwhp, with the kb or wipple its a larger displcment blower than than the eaton, so its not as hard to make larger boost levels

Thank You!

I really appreciate your feedback so and yes I believe I will be maxing out the blower with the 2.66mm pulley....however I will be putting on the LT headers along with the a Dr Gas off road X pipe which will remove alot of back pressure and heat from the motor since they are both ceramic coated. from the motor so even though I will be maxing out RPM of the blower... I will probably only see about 9PSI of boost as a result which should lower the heat generated by the eaton since the boost will be lower... do you think that I am on track with this?

The other variable that I am not sure about is the Idler pulley as I am told that due to its effectiveness at stopping belt slippage, it actually adds about 1 - 1.5 psi of boost as a result... so that would put me back at 10.5 psi if that is correct?? What are your thoughts?

blower

SatinSilverStan said:
I really appreciate your feedback so and yes I believe I will be maxing out the blower with the 2.66mm pulley....however I will be putting on the LT headers along with the a Dr Gas off road X pipe which will remove alot of back pressure and heat from the motor since they are both ceramic coated. from the motor so even though I will be maxing out RPM of the blower... I will probably only see about 9PSI of boost as a result which should lower the heat generated by the eaton since the boost will be lower... do you think that I am on track with this?

The other variable that I am not sure about is the Idler pulley as I am told that due to its effectiveness at stopping belt slippage, it actually adds about 1 - 1.5 psi of boost as a result... so that would put me back at 10.5 psi if that is correct?? What are your thoughts?

id say this should be a great combo and im excited to see what it makes for power, id say youll see about 11 psi, ive heard good things about the mo saleen idler pulley but i dont have any experence using them, the lonng tubes will def help with the boost.:hail2:

C.Saleen said:
id say this should be a great combo and im excited to see what it makes for power, id say youll see about 11 psi, ive heard good things about the mo saleen idler pulley but i dont have any experence using them, the lonng tubes will def help with the boost.:hail2:

Well there have been a few peeps on saleenpower.com that have installed the idler pulley so far and claim that it is def a worth while mod so if you are interested let me know and and I will get you in touch with mosaleen.... but I am going to do a baseline dyno and then one afterword to post up for everyone...

SatinSilverStan said:
Well there have been a few peeps on saleenpower.com that have installed the idler pulley so far and claim that it is def a worth while mod so if you are interested let me know and and I will get you in touch with mosaleen.... but I am going to do a baseline dyno and then one afterword to post up for everyone...

ya i post at saleen power also, right now i use 2 idlers and havent had any belt slip yet, i also have to upgrade to my 8 rib setup just havent had the time to do it yet, also i rember when i added the slp long tubes on my car i think i gained about 1lb of boost, i think if you go over to modular depot, there was a thred there about 2 years ago about porting the saleen intake, some guys did some extensive researh about it, just use the search engine over there.

C.Saleen said:
ya i post at saleen power also, right now i use 2 idlers and havent had any belt slip yet, i also have to upgrade to my 8 rib setup just havent had the time to do it yet, also i rember when i added the slp long tubes on my car i think i gained about 1lb of boost, i think if you go over to modular depot, there was a thred there about 2 years ago about porting the saleen intake, some guys did some extensive researh about it, just use the search engine over there.

2 Idlers?? How the in the world does that work? Do you have any pics of your set up...I didn't realize that we could run 2 idlers...thats good stuff right there..

marcus95 said:
Don't spend another dime on that Series 2 if you can.

Well I don't have a whole lot of options besides the Kenne Bell and I don't want to spend 5800 bucks for it as I previously stated and the Series IV is not too much better due to the crappy intake manifold that comes with the series IV...so unless I want to go centrifical, which I don't what other options do I have?

SatinSilverStan said:
2 Idlers?? How the in the world does that work? Do you have any pics of your set up...I didn't realize that we could run 2 idlers...thats good stuff right there..

those are my pics above i use a kenne bell 2.2 blowzilla, it uses two idlers right below the blower pulley.