03-04 cobra steering rack on my '94 GT

krtw

Sep 18, 2009
Oregon
I just completed installing a reman stock replacement rack on to my '94 GT, not happy with the reman replacement (its an APSCO). I replaced the original rack because of annoying play at center, found no other issues with the steering system (ie rag joint, tie rods, etc....are in "new" condition). I have read that the 03-04 cobra racks are better, tighter tolerances.....less play. Is it true that these racks are a direct replacement for a '94 GT?

• Sponsors (?)

I found a previous thread from '08 and YES apparently all racks from 94-04 are interchangable with no modifications. So maybe I will go that route and get a 03-04 cobra rack, sorry I wasted my time with this APSCO rack.....I had researched this issue last year and found NOTHING that was of much help, I should have searched harder I guess.

the rack was a direct fit in my 94 gt. you may also want to look at the "cobra" steering shaft. it uses urethane instead of the rubber joint on our models and at one point was reasonably priced.

Greg94,

Just curious why you installed the 03-04 cobra rack in your '94? Could you tell the difference between the OE rack and the cobra? Did it solve any issues you had with the OE rack? Where did you get the rack from? I have found a 03-04 cobra reman rack, but am wondering if one source or remanufacturer is better than another.

I have a steering rack out of an 04 Cobra and new Cobra steering shaft and it is a more responsive than the stock rack and there are fewer turns lock-to-lock. However there is still a little bit of slop (less than the stock racK) and it doesn't feel as tight as say a BMW. If I can ever get my car smogged in CA, I'll probably get the MM solid steering shaft.

my rack came from advance auto with stiffer rack bushings. the steering shaft from ebay, and yes there was an improvement with steering and "on" center feel. you can also use a mach 1 rack. it is very close to the cobra. these racks can be identified by the "stampings" on housing. i think SPR-ZK is mach 1 and SPR-ZM for cobra. about $189 when i purchased it a year ago. also, the cobra steering shaft is designed to collaspe if you are in a front end collision {keeps the steering wheel out of your chest}.

I received my "new" rack today. However, I checked the stamp code and its SPR GZ :shrug: I ordered this from RackpinionWsh.com, their description says 2003-2004 cobra rack with SPR ZM code. Any ideas what this rack is from???

Update..... Looks like they substituted a different rack, the box has the code 1999 but I had ordered 22-2000. They list both of these options for the same year of cobra, but 22-2000's description is specific with the code SPR ZM and thats why I ordered it. So now of course I am unhappy, they also charged me for the 22-2000 which is more expensive than the 1999. :mad: I'll call them in the morning.....

So I called rackpinionwhse.com and found that I was really talking to CV unlimited the remanufacture, apparently rackpinionwhse.com is their store front on the net. But they also offer reman parts from Cardone, which is a different company....I think they may be working together with the store front. It was Cardone that had the SPR-ZM....well actualy they don't have it. So even though I specifically chose their "NO SUBSTITUTES" option for my order they substituted anyways. They assured me that the rack they sent would fit my car....I had to explain to the woman on the phone twice that I realized the rack they sent would fit, BUT ITS NOT THE RACK I ORDERED. She then wanted to know what the difference was.... I really confused her when I told her I had a 94 mustang, I could see that would not get me anywhere so I corrected myself and told a little white lie.....I have a 2004 Cobra. :rolleyes: The good news is that CV unlimited had UPS come pickup their SPR-GZ rack, so its not sitting in my garage tempting me to "just try it". The bad news is that there seems to be NO SPR-ZMs anywhere. :(

I also had play on my steering wheel,say 2" side to side,removed my steering shaft and found the play to be in the actual upper sliding shaft,so i extended to the correct length and welded the 2 sliding parts,no play at all now.

May be useful?